Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here know a lot about late 80's gsxr motors? I have a 97 bandit, and was doing valve cover work, when a bolt fell down the cam chain crevice. im getting a flexible magnet-on-a-stick tomorrow to try and fish it out. if that doesnt work im taking the exhaust and oil pan off. hoping i wont have to tear the whole engine down. any ideas or areas of "easy access"? all was going well until this happened :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i brought it to a dealership, think theyd charge up the ass to get it out? im most certainly not mechanically inclined enough to tear down a motor.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Definitely try to fish it out with a magnet. Otherwise take off any pan on the bottom if the cam drive is in the center of the engine. If it is on either side of the cylinder block take off the cover on that side and see if you can fish it out from that side area. Might work too even if the cam drive is centered.

The whole process to take apart an engine isn't that great, just that big. It's a horizontal clam shell like split. You only take off the bottom of the engine, but it's out of the frame on the bench, upside down.

I'm betting on fishing it out working with enough effort and luck.

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
telescopic magnets - best invention ever!
used mine this week to lift the buckets & stick the shim inside - saves a lot of heartache.

are you 100% sure it went down the tunnel?
you'd be real sick if you ripped the motor apart then found it somewhere else!

next time, kitchen roll down the hole, cyl head inlets, spark plug hole, anywhere stuff can get in you can bet it will!

you're lucky it's a steel bolt & not a brass part!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a telescoping magnet, the magnets just too big to fit down there and i need to bend corners. and yes the cam chain is in the middle of the engine. i couldnt find a flexible magnet at any local store so i ordered 1. just means 3 or more days not riding. :frown: if that doesnt work, then the exhaust is coming off so i can reach a pan without taking the engine out. hopefully. and i guess im lucky but unlucky. the bolt is steel, but its 1 of the oil passage bolts. what difference does brass and steel make? and the engine turns over without any crunching, grinding, or seizing after several turns. so i assume its not in the cylinder or the engine would get stuck just before tdc. which leads me to believe it fell all the way down to the bottom and didnt get stuck in a gear. the bolts about an inch long and a 10mm. would it be possible to access it from the clutch or signal generator?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know anything about fitting hyperchargers to a C 109RT? im looking for the vacuum hose and cant seem to find anywhere to T into the pipe to enable the butterflies to work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back from the dead, I'm working on a 1972 Honda CL100 and I dropped the cam gear bolt down into the cam chain path. I can't find it anywhere. I've pulled the engine and removed the head and cylinder, fished around with a magnet and even shook the engine in all directions. There is no sound what so ever from the engine. I have a feeling it's stuck to something that is magnetized.

Where could it be?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I went one better. I bought magnet on a stick WITH A WHITE LED LIGHT ON IT.

Stuck it in my toolbox for the inevitable.

Went to use it....battery dead. @#[email protected]#!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts