Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't put my side stand up and first left I tried to take sent me down. For my first time. It was low speed, maybe 10 mph. Didn't leave first gear. I checked the bike over real quick but and the only immediate problems I noticed was a snapped clutch lever (since replaced) and a small ding on my exhaust where the center stand must've contacted it when the thing hit the pavement.

Next day in tinkin around with it, going through the front brakes and handlebars to make sure nothing got twacked out. I go to sit on the bike and it feels low. I mean inches lower than normal. So I hop off and attempt to get it on the center stand. Which was harder than usual due to how low the rear was sagging. Once on the center stand, I notice the rear springs slow decompressing. Crap. What the hell did I do? Remove the springs and move the swingarm up and down. It moves easily, like it feels like it should. So I chalk it up to bent springs, they're 30 years old anyways, order an OEM pair off eBay and figured that was that.

Get the new springs, shine em up and slap them on. Go for a quick ride and notice they're sticking again. This time instead of slowly decompressing, lifting up on the sissy bar makes then twang or fling back into their resting position. I pull the shocks off and notice the piston rods look bent. During the test ride the bike handled a bit different. It seemed easier to flick left and right (could have been that I hadn't ridden in a week and wasn't used to the shocks or because they were set to the highest preload and/or that they were stuck in compressed mode). I also noticed some oil on the piston after removing them that I didn't notice before when cleaning them. Although they were dirty as hell when I got them.

I used a fluorescent tube and some chalk to see how the rear wheel stacked up against the front and nothing seems out of place. The ebayed shocks are both bent in what appears to be the same spot. I wish I would have inspected them more closely while I was shining them. I have a new in box pair on order. But what are my options here? Is it possible I bent my swingarm and the shocks weren't bent when I got them, putting them on my bike is what bent them? It's a shaft driven bike so it's kind difficult to look at the swingarm to determine whether its bent or not. Maybe my frame is bent? I'm at a bit of a loss. eBay dude said he'd take the old shocks back. On grounds that I pay shipping which I kinda think is bogus because I paid to have them shipped to begin with.

Tl;dr dropped bike,shocks stick, bought used pair, they stick too. Did I bend something or were the second set of shocks most likely bent as well?

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
When you attach the shocks, do only one end, and see how the other mount lines up. Try with the bike lifted or on the center stand, so you can lift the swingarm until the lower shock mount just approaches the bottom of the shock, and see if the mount is parallel with the hole in the end of the shock, and the bottom of the shock is aligned the way it would be when bolted on (have the bottom bolt in place). I'm thinking you may have bent the top or bottom mount, and the bend is causing one to bind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after some quick measurement, it looks like the left side doesn't match up perfectly with both mounts. I can't figure out which one is the culprit but it's only off by a cm at most. I'm thinking I can stick a few washers on the mount to push the shock mount away from the bike by just a hair, to make it 100% straight. Is this a bad idea? Sounds like a bad idea. The right mounts line up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I assume it's the top mount that needs some spacers, since the bottom mount would crack the casting if pushed it, right? There are many after-market shocks that require spacers to line up correctly on some bikes, so I shouldn't think putting a washer or two behind yours would be an issue. Since the alternative seems to be stripping it down and trying to bend the frame back out, I'd go with the washers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts