Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is maybe a bit off topic, but l am starting to dip my toes into a little bit of machining and fabrication at work, and suddenly l have all kinds of great ideas popping into my head from out of nowhere. It's actually very cool! I know that these things exist, because l saw a youtube video for them...does anyone know who makes this drill bit that can drill a square hole in steel, something like a mortiser bit? While we are at it, please share if you know of any cool tools that do really trick stuff :)

C

·
0 Posts
Not sure if this will help you or not but here is a video on Youtube.

Here is where you can purchase the drill bit.

You have to forgive me, I am not a mechanic or fabricator. So this info may be useless. :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to check this out.

Eye, after doing some more looking l found aa rotary broach made by Slater...have you ever used such a machine? It looks like you need a lathe as well.

·
American Legion Rider
18,577 Posts
I would think Plasma cutter. Depending on thickness.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Plasma cutters are neat. I had a friend of mine cut a car in half with one. That will teach the person to only pay for half the work........

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Not sure if this will help you or not but here is a video on Youtube.
That's another form of rotary broach, but I've never seen it done quite like that. Thanks for posting. Interesting, but it looks a little complicated and somewhat limited.

Here is where you can purchase the drill bit.
Those are tool bits, like for a lathe. I do wonder how much the above tools would be though.

I've never used a rotary broach, Hawk, but I've seen it done. Usually you use a milling machine or lathe, but a lathe limits the size of the material you can work on. If you're doing production work and making a lot of the same sized holes a rotary broach might be the way to go, but if you need to make a lot of various sized shapes then standard broaches might be more useful.

I use standard broaches. They're relatively cheap, but I always have my eyes open for used ones in sizes I don't have. You can make them, but I haven't had the need to try my hand at doing that yet. The advantage in using standard broaches is you can collect a whole lot of different sizes and shapes for the same amount of money you'd spend on one rotary broach.

To use them you drill a slightly under-sized pilot hole then ram the broach through with a press. If you're cutting a keyway you use a bushing. Here's a video of a guy making a keyway. If you need to make a square hole, or a hex hole, or whatever, the process is about the same, but this will give you an idea how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbOux9NfeU

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The company that invented that machining process (first used in wood in the 1800's) is a few blocks from my house.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It was called Greenlee Brothers. (You'll notice that their logo is a round "G" in a square frame) The old plant is long closed down and the tool-making business was taken over by Textron. I had a grandfather and an uncle retire from there after many years of working.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Well I'll be! I know that name from electrical tools. I had no idea that's how they started, or that they were that old. Cool info about the logo too. Very interesting. Thanks.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I seem to want to remember something about an older Greenlee line of very good wood chisels and cutting bits too, but I might be confused.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. I am finding myself very fascinated with the concept l have recently discovered...that with an idea, some raw materials and a few skills, l can make a tool or a part or whatever it is that l need.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It is said that the ability to make and use tools is what separates the higher order of animals from the lower. The same can be said about Bikers. :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice! Now l feel smart too :)

The other day we had a situation at the hospital where there were a cluster of bolts coming through a wall, they were all holding conduits (or something similar) so you couldn't put a socket on it, but they were too close together so you couldn't fit a wrench in between them either. I happened to come across this tool on ebay, it was a snap-on socket extension with a 12-point wrench at the end of it. Perfect! I searched and searched and searched, the seller hadn't posted much info on it, so l didn't have a name or part number...then l realized...it was homemade, and really clean! Whoever made it took a deep socket and cut it at an angle lengthwise almost to the mouth, then sheared it off crossways, but with a slit at the end so you could loop it around the conduit or all-thread or whatever the nut is holding in place. I have seen homemade tools before, but this one was not crude, and its purpose was such that it just caught my attention and filled my imagination with possibilities! I believe that is what started it all.

·
American Legion Rider
18,577 Posts
It's similar to an oxygen/acetylene process. But in this case a electrical arc mixes with gases and pressurized air to melt or cut metal. Much cleaner though. Sorta like a combination of a torch and arc welder I guess.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Plasma cutters are a little cleaner than a cutting torch, but not super precise like a laser cutter. They will cut thicker material than a laser beam, but not as thick as can be cut with a cutting torch.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts