Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I met some bikers going across the country and stopping at cool sites like the grand canyon. They were on a 6 week vacation and taking their time along the way. I thought that looked really fun. I would love to ride route 66 someday (or as much as possible). If you had 6 weeks where would you ride? Can be anywhere in the world

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
A trip across the US (as these folks were doing) would be high on the list, mostly because all the different climates you'd encounter. Mountains, deserts, forests, flatlands, coasts... it would be fantastic.

Of course, I'd have to make a stop in Colorado along the way.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Had a dream trip already. When I got out of the Corps in '92, my dad met me in North Carolina and we spent 10 days touring Civil War battlefields in the southeast.

If I could get 6 weeks to roam now, I'd probably follow Hwy 61 from New Orleans to Chicago, then turn west and head for Monterey, Ca to ride Hwy 1 up the coast. Don't know how I'd go home, though.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
We do it three weeks at a time, at least once a year, since Mrs. Eye is only allowed to leave her position for that long at one time lest the company fall into the sea or something. Still, we've covered about 43 of the states and managed to enjoy some wonderful routes and rides.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
We do it three weeks at a time, at least once a year, since Mrs. Eye is only allowed to leave her position for that long at one time lest the company fall into the sea or something. Still, we've covered about 43 of the states and managed to enjoy some wonderful routes and rides.
Do you have a favorite state to ride through? Sounds like a great tradition

·
Registered
316 Posts
Damn, I'm jealous. Not only because you take these trips, but Mrs. Skysearch refuses to get on the bike.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Damn, I'm jealous. Not only because you take these trips, but Mrs. Skysearch refuses to get on the bike.
Man, that's got to be a little hard to deal with. Maybe eventually she'll be willing to give it a try and spend some time with you doing one of the things you love. I hope so.

Mrs. Eye rides her own. I had to buy another bike, other then my local bar-hopper, to keep up with her.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Do you have a favorite state to ride through? Sounds like a great tradition

Not really. Just about any state you ride through is going to have wonderful places, roads, sights, and people, if you make the effort to recognize them when you see them.

The last few years we've really fallen in love with the West, and South West. We also want to explore further into Wyoming and up into that general area.

For the next ride though, I think we're going to ride up around Superior and Michigan, (Great Lakes area,) and poke into central Canada a bit, that kind of thing. It's an idea I got from Old Dead Eye on this site. He and his bride took a nice long ride and circumnavigated the Great Lakes.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My dream trip would be to fly to Britain, rent a bike with sidecar, and ride through the rural areas of England, Scotland, and Ireland. It would be lovely to see the countryside and stop in the little village pubs and either camp or stay at local bed-and-breakfasts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
6 weeks?
I would do the entire Great River Road from Lake Itasca to the Gulf, but that would only be about 2 weeks worth.

The Park to Park highway has been on my list of dream tours..
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/06/national-park-park-highway

If all expenses were paid, maybe a 6 week tour of Europe.
Oh wow! I hadn't heard of this and just visited the link. It looks amazing! I think I am going to add this to my bucket list.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
6 weeks would be great!! West through Norman Oklahoma toward the Grand Canyon, north through Yosemite to Reno to meet Little Honda, Racer and the rest of the Stable. Then to California to ride along the coast, through the Redwoods, by Crater Lake & on up to Seattle.

North to Alaska then back through Glacier National Park, ride around in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming & Utah enjoying the mountains. Finally turning east through Colorado toward home.

I would want to try to meet as many Forum Members as possible on the trip. I think this route would lead me close to several. Just thinking about it has got me anxious to get back on the road!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
6 weeks would be great!! West through Norman Oklahoma toward the Grand Canyon, north through Yosemite to Reno to meet Little Honda, Racer and the rest of the Stable. Then to California to ride along the coast, through the Redwoods, by Crater Lake & on up to Seattle.

North to Alaska then back through Glacier National Park, ride around in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming & Utah enjoying the mountains. Finally turning east through Colorado toward home.

I would want to try to meet as many Forum Members as possible on the trip. I think this route would lead me close to several. Just thinking about it has got me anxious to get back on the road!!!
It would be so cool if there was a route planned around the country based on everyone's locations and then a ride through their favorite area. Your trip sounds fantastic! I would love to see crater lake someday!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm probably biased but I love riding in the dryer western states with incredible scenery, especially Utah. Some amazing roads, amazing national parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Capital Reef) that are near great roads. If pick the right time of year get decent weather - mid summer would not be when to go.

Just finished a 10 day ride from Calgary Canada through Montana, Idaho, Utah, A bit of Nevada, and left my bike in S California. Fantastic time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Coast to coast to coast; east, south, west.

Straight through the middle of Australia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Six weeks would be great! Could get into parts of California, Oregon, or Washington State, and have time to explore at our leisure before heading home for work. Would also love to do a trip up to Alaska. Think we could do it in six weeks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd go for a clockwise circumnavigation of the USA. From northern California, up to Seattle, across the "Going to the Sun Road" in Montana, up to the northeastern tip of Maine, down inland a bit to get those eastern ranges and drop down the "Tail of the Dragon", down to the end of the Keys, across the bottom to San Diego and up to the north of California again.

Leaves a lot missing in the middle, but that's life.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
If I had 6 weeks and a few sponsors I would try to ride around the world.
And seeing what you've already done, you could probably pull it off. Heck, I might even sponsor a portion. I couldn't do a lot but these companies would be missing an opportunity if you REALLY wanted to attempt it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts