Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Tiger 900. Rode it 60 miles home and while I was looking at my new purchase at home noticed that the oil level in the sight glass was completely full. I don’t think by much, it I tilt the bike say 5 degrees the oil line comes into sight and when the engine runs there is no oil in the sight glass

I’m probably over thinking this but I know there is a danger of the crank whipping up excess oil into a foam and preventing proper lubrication.

1. if the crank whips the oil into a foam does it stay in that state even after the engine is cold?

2. if there is no oil present in the air box can I assume that their was not oil hitting the crank and no harm done?

3. If I drop a bit oil through the drain plug do I risk getting a bit of grit or dirt in the oil?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I would drain some out. Over filled oil can also lead to oil leaks.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Try to get some out with plastic tubing through the fill hole. And don't worry about no oil showing with the engine running, I think most, if not all engines with a sight glass will show none or very little oil when they're running. If it's different on your bike, someone will correct me.

·
Ace Tuner
2,628 Posts
1. if the crank whips the oil into a foam does it stay in that state even after the engine is cold?
No

2. if there is no oil present in the air box can I assume that their was not oil hitting the crank and no harm done?
Some lubrication for the piston, piston pin and cylinder wall comes from 'splash'. (Oil hitting the crank).
After enough running time most bikes will put a little oil in the air box because the crankcase breather system collects a fine mist of oil and that mist will collect in the air box as oil.

3. If I drop a bit oil through the drain plug do I risk getting a bit of grit or dirt in the oil?
No but to avoid a possible slight leak be careful that you don't get grit on the drain plug sealing washer.

S F

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a Windex spray bottle or something similar. Unscrew the spray pump from the bottle and clean it .
Put the tube in where you fill the oil. Start pumping out into another container until you remove what's needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a Windex spray bottle or something similar. Unscrew the spray pump from the bottle and clean it .
Put the tube in where you fill the oil. Start pumping out into another container until you remove what's needed.
I’ve done that before but the clutch gets in the way on the new Tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Ace Tuner
2,628 Posts
If it only takes about a 5 degree tilt to be able to see the oil in the sight glass then it's not overfilled by much. Some might say not really overfilled at all, just a little more full than what is ideal.
Your concern about oil getting in the air box is reasonable because a higher oil level will tend to put a little more oil mist in the crankcase breather system resulting in oil collecting in the air box a little sooner.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
Is it truly over filled or just showing over filled due to it being hot after riding it home. Check it when it is cold before you go removing any oil.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,460 Posts
Well oil is cheap and if you are really concerned then change it and the filter. Fill it with the correct amount of oil and you will know for certain. Just don't be too surprised if it looks the same.

Did you check the owner's manual on how it said to check the oil?

Reactions: SemiFast

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
Never heard of the spray bottle pump thing, going to have to remember that one. :cool:
I question it myself. Can thick oil be pumped with just any spray bottle pump? I doubt it so let us know how well it works or if the pump and bottle get thrown in the trash and you steal a turkey baster from someone.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
344 Posts
I always change the oil and all fluids on any new purchase like this. This will solve all this issue and you will know it has the correct oil and filter and when it has been done.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You do have to let the engine cool but also be sure to give the oil enough time to collect in the case. I always check my oil after an entire night to filter down after doing a change. My bike bike takes damn near 4 liters of oil, and it takes forever to get through the rest of the engine and down to the oil pan. I've changed the oil twice on my new bike already and both times I've had to let a little out.

·
Ace Tuner
2,628 Posts
The early Kawasaki Ninja 1100's (1990's) had two oil drain plugs and partially two engine oil chambers.
The only way to check the oil and get a constant, and correct, reading of the oil level in the sight glass was to bring the bike in warmed up and running, put it up on the center stand, let it idle for at least a few seconds then shut it off.
After a little cool down it was time to check the oil level.
If you took the bike off the center stand, then put it back up on it the oil level would show different.
You'd be surprised at the amount of riders that didn't know their bike had two oil drain plugs or how to check the oil level and get a constant reading.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
You'd be surprised at the amount of riders that didn't know their bike had two oil drain plugs or how to check the oil level and get a constant reading.
Was it in the owners manual or a learned function?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My bile has 2 drain plugs. The "check oil" procedure is a bit specific and a PITA. Out of the manual:

Check by idling for 15 minutes
hold vertical and idle for 30 seconds
place on sides stand and idle for 10 seconds
stop engine and wait for 3 minutes
remove dipstick and clean
hold bike vertical, insert dipstick without turning in threads, but touching the filler hole, remove and inspect.

·
Ace Tuner
2,628 Posts
Was it in the owners manual or a learned function?
I never saw the owners manual. I did all of the service plus a BUNCH of performance mods for a regular customer that owned one.
There were several of those bikes in my area at the time. For me it was a learned function.

The "check oil" procedure is a bit specific and a PITA.
What a pain... What bike is that?

S F

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts