Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my question is, are you supposed to downshift and apply the brakes or is it just one or the other. FYI, my bike has GREAT engine braking. Is it ok to pull in the clutch and just brake?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It is always a good idea to be in first gear when u come to a stop. Reason being is if the car behind u dont stop u can just up and move if possible. I always make sure I downshift. I might not always engine brake but I always make sure im in first before my foot goes down

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do make sure I'm in 1st gear at a stop with my eyes on my rear view mirror for the reason you stated. I guess my question is do you downshift through each gear letting out the clutch each gear and braking or just pull in the clutch and apply the brakes to stop?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It depends on the situation. If im trying to wait out a res light I will downshift and ride it out for as long as I can so I dont have to put a foot down if I can get away with it. If im coming to a stop sign I will use engine braking. If im going down hill I tend to just use the brakes while downshifting to first gear

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
So, my question is, are you supposed to downshift and apply the brakes or is it just one or the other. FYI, my bike has GREAT engine braking. Is it ok to pull in the clutch and just brake?
It is perfectly OK to just brake. Do shift while you are braking so that if the light changes you will be in the right gear and not fighting to find it.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You should always use the brakes when slowing, even if using engine braking. The clutch lever doesn't light up your brake light, only the brake controls do.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I try to do equal amounts of both, but I don't get too conerned about downshifting if I have to stop really quickly. Just make sure to kick it down to 1 before you come to a complete stop or you'll struggle to get moving again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts