Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home from work tonight and as I approach a major intersection in Lake City, I notice another bike has decided to follow me. I didn't think much of it, until I got through the light and this person decided we were now riding partners and jumped right into stagger formation. I sped up, slowed down, and finally just waved at them to back off. Instead they blew past me on the shoulder and went up in front of me. It turned out it was a woman on a small cruiser, and she was waving her arms like, "WTF?" I let her go on her way.

Is it just me, or is it a douchebag move to just jump in and ride with someone? You don't know me, you don't know my skill level, and you're going to just jump in and take away one of my outs? I didn't appreciate it.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
--

If she was behind you in stagger, I don't know what the problem is with that. Better than tailgating you.

--
+1

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She was 10 feet (if that) behind me in my blind spot. You wouldn't follow a car like that, why is it okay to follow a bike like that?

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
Blind spot? In stagger formation? And cars don't do stagger formation. Someone needs to relax.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess l am just a lone rider. l don't like riding with other people. l choose not to on purpose. l think l have the right to ride by myself without someone just inviting themselves to join.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
Just ride your own ride, if your not riding together they will turn off.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ride your own ride, if your not riding together they will turn off.
That's the reason I don't ride with others...I don't ride my own ride well with others around. The last time I rode with others I broke my shoulder and tore the rotator cuff, labrum, and several ligaments.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,454 Posts
I don't see an issue with this. She might have been a bit close but otherwise no problem

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
That sucks. Riding and not being influenced is hard on many many levels. There is another option and it involves pulling over or intentionally turning off course. Otherwise ride your own ride.

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found it to be an invasion of my space and personal boundaries. I would never just roll up an someone and act like we were old riding partners. It's obviously just me though. I'm okay with that. I'm a weirdo and I know it ;)

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
One thing I do at stoplights and signs even though I am staggard, I don't pull up along side at the stop. Many have done it to me, I roll off the throttle let them go on down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Even when riding with someone, I'm rarely less than 2 seconds behind, even if staggered. Riding closer than that is just unsafe, IMO. Why some feel the need to tailgate is beyond my ken.

·
Biker
1,622 Posts
Aphy is right, they will go there own way, BUT it is not good road etiquette to assume you are welcome to ride with others.
I don't assume I am welcome to pull up to other riders or a rider until they/he waves me forward, that happened a few times,
I'd be back a few car lengths and they'd wave me forward, I'd pull up and it was a friendly greeting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I Don't think it would bother me but thats me. I do admit it's bold on her part to assume it's ok.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
I was riding home from work tonight and as I approach a major intersection in Lake City, I notice another bike has decided to follow me. I didn't think much of it, until I got through the light and this person decided we were now riding partners and jumped right into stagger formation. I sped up, slowed down, and finally just waved at them to back off. Instead they blew past me on the shoulder and went up in front of me. It turned out it was a woman on a small cruiser, and she was waving her arms like, "WTF?" I let her go on her way.

Is it just me, or is it a douchebag move to just jump in and ride with someone? You don't know me, you don't know my skill level, and you're going to just jump in and take away one of my outs? I didn't appreciate it.
It's you. Staggering is what you do. How did you figure she was a riding partner when staggering is how most riders approach another biker. I never pull along side of someone I don't know, out of respect. If I'm following, I stay back a respectable distance and I'm staggered. You need to learn biker etiquette, you can't always have the road to yourself.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Happens all the time to me. I completely ignore them. Never had one ride more than 10 miles with me. Usually much less. Most want to go faster than the speed limit so at some point they blow by and are on their way. You may have a problem if you can't just ride Fisken. What's the big deal if it's a bike? Do cars also bother you? It's the same to me but less of a risk. Especially in staggered formation. Let that rider block cars from behind you. It's their problem then. But continue to watch just in case. Let them show off if they want but basically just ignore them. Remember, those in cars are watching you too so let it go. You got nothing to prove. Correct? So just ride.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
10 feet in stagger with someone I don't know would bother me too, it's just a bit too close for comfort.
30 feet or so and I'd pretty much forget they are there, far better than having some clown in a cage back there.

Reactions: MONI and Dodsfall

·
Registered
316 Posts
I guess l am just a lone rider. l don't like riding with other people. l choose not to on purpose. l think l have the right to ride by myself without someone just inviting themselves to join.
I'm much the same way in terms of being a lone rider and like everyone else, have had riders come up staggering from behind. It's distracting mostly because it's different, and can't help but check out what their doing (not sure why). It makes it hard to stay in "lost in thought" mode, which is my preferred norm while riding.

By the way, being lost in thought has nothing to do with keen awareness of surroundings and reaction time... as my ten years of accident free riding prove (oh sh*t, knock on wood). Just some state of peaceful calm reflection that's hard to find while doing anything else. Yeah, it's weird, but one of the things I love most about riding.

All that said, your level of anger/frustration over this distraction seems out of line. I save that for people pulling out in front of me, tailgating, blind lane changing or other stupid maneuvers endangering my life.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts