Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...you have a ride planned through the Austin area, from Georgetown out to Marble Falls, then back down Lime Creek Road, and 2222, and if traffic is cooperating, to the state capital building,

And...you got a new Garmin for this trip and you finally figured out how to make the Base Camp app plan a route for you.

and next week takes forever to get here.

To help me out a little here, please add your spring break ride plans, so I'll have some good reading material to get me through this last work day.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm trying to save a few $$$ and waiting for spring/summer temps that I can tolerate.

The bike is nearly ready, what it needs I can do. Then it's just getting everything gathered up, loaded, and strapped down. :)

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still trying to figure out how I can get my camper and bike loaded up for some trips I'd like to take. It's too heavy to put in the truck and I'm not wanting to dump $40k into a toyhauler rv...yet. The weather is suppose t be pretty decent, hopefully. Maybe cool in the mornings but I got layers I can shed as I go.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I recently bought a 10 X 6 cargo van. $4000 so far including registration and taxes. Probably another thousand for brakes, window, shelves and so on.It does not have a drop axle, but is only about 15 inches above the ground. Modern trucks are too high, and modern bikes are too heavy. My 68 GMC heavy half carried many bikes many miles. My first vehicle for taking bikes to the track, was a 53 GMC panel van. Cost $175.
That was one of three vehicles I bought for $175. A Plymouth Fury in Hawaii in 68. A 52 or 53 Chev sedan in about 1970. A guy with a Cadillac backed into it and busted his tail light. Cost $180 for a new one.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
When I was working on the road all the time, I got tired of leaving my bike at home. When I was down in the Shreveport, La. I went to a welding shop and had a hitch made for the back of my 5th wheel camper trailer. Later I bought an enclosed box trailer to haul my motorcycle inside and out of the weather.

Can't back up more than few feet and had to avoid states where pulling doubles is illegal but it wasn't a problem 'cause I didn't work in those states. Never had a problem in the RV parks I stayed at and the trailer was used like a little garage to keep the bike secure while I was working.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I had the misfortune and pleasure of visiting Marble Falls last fall. The misfortune was having a blowout on my travel trailer. The pleasure was the great folks of Texas (including the Deputy Sheriff) that stopped to render me aid, who recommended a great RV dealer who went above and beyond any expectations that I had to make the extensive repairs and get me back on the road within 48 hours of the incident, and the pleasant stay at a lovely hotel in Marble Falls. (The RV repair place was Hill Country RV Service on Hwy 281 just south of Marble Falls, to whom I am truly grateful for their help.)

I wish I had the current weather of Texas instead of what we have here in northern IL. Its 9 AM and still in the 30's, but tomorrow afternoon is expected to reach 60. I plan on riding tomorrow as I have been the last two Sundays. Spring is on the way!

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
...you have a ride planned through the Austin area, from Georgetown out to Marble Falls, then back down Lime Creek Road, and 2222, and if traffic is cooperating, to the state capital building,

And...you got a new Garmin for this trip and you finally figured out how to make the Base Camp app plan a route for you.

and next week takes forever to get here.
I can't tell you how many times I've had that EXACT plan! Well, actually I can... zero. :LOL:
But yeah, planning a sweet ride, only to have it delayed for any reason, is super frustrating...

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
I hate missing Daytona Bike Week.
The only time of the year when most of the top venues are in the same place.
Road Racing. Supercross. Hare Scrambles. Flat track. Vintage meets. Street bike displays and rides. Worlds largest swap meet. The Wall of Death.
The Beach. The weather.
I mean, just look at that blue sky during the interviews for tonight’s Supercross.
(which by the way is on NBCSN live, tonight if yer interested 7:30pm est).
Ain’t happening again, next year I’m there. Stamp it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Supposed to get nice around here today and tomorrow but no riding for me yet. My spring break plan is flying to Disney Florida with my wife, 2 teenaged kids and my 75 year old mon(it's her first visit) for a week. When I get back I hope it rained alot while I'm away the sand on the streets makes that first month of riding sketchy.
After that ride ride ride and plan a ride to PA.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I remember, when I was still working, vacation all planned out and just having to wait for "THE DAY". Having two weekends and five work days off to go to wherever we were going and just RIDE, RIDE, RIDE! Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning, the night before "THE DAY" can't hardly fall asleep trying to remember if every little thing is packed and ready to go.

Then, hearing, thunder,..."THE DAY" finally arrives and it's pouring down rain, but it's "THE DAY", unpack the rain suits and remember next time to not pack them first! To heck with the rain, it's "THE DAY" and it's time to ride and enjoy every day away from work no matter what!

I think that only happened one time, but it happened on "THE DAY" so that made it memorable.

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
Waaay back in 1977, had a week off, so my wife and I headed off on a trip to see New England.
Got as far as Vermont and it started raining. So we set up camp.
It rained for the next four days straight without letup. After four days in
that tent in the rain, we were at each other's throats.
Next day, we packed the bike and headed home in the rain.
So much for vacation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Waaay back in 1977, had a week off, so my wife and I headed off on a trip to see New England.
Got as far as Vermont and it started raining. So we set up camp.
It rained for the next four days straight without letup. After four days in
that tent in the rain, we were at each other's throats.
Next day, we packed the bike and headed home in the rain.
So much for vacation.
I had a weekend like that at my in laws cottage, 9 months later we had our first born. We stayed in the bunkie, rain can be good or bad. 16 years later I'm still trying to decide if it was good or bad.???

·
Registered
172 Posts
I spend the winter downtime planning my next spring ride with my daughter. She lives in San Francisco and I live in Southwest Washington, so I have a bit of a ride just getting to her house. This year I am taking three days to do that, riding through the coastal mountains between highway 5 and highway 101. Then we will head down the central valley of California to ride some of the southern Sierra roads around lake Isabella. Total trip days for me will be 11, with 8 days on the bike, a 2014 Honda CBR500R with 56,000 miles on it. Daughter also rides a 2014 CBR500R, but I just bought a Kawasaki Ninja 400 for her which is ideal because it is so much lighter and has only 4500 miles. I trade her bikes straight across and then refurbish the CBR and sell it and keep whatever I can get for it.

I keep a blog of my various rides at thegoodroads.blogspot.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't you just HATE IT!! WHEN THEY CLOSE DISNEY!!!!! Had it all planned, my wife had everything booked Fastpass, dinners and the Hoop-tee-doo review. She was working on this for month's. It was going to be my 76 yrs old mother's first time at Disney?!$#! We were going to get there Sunday! My daughter's grade 8 graduation present were passes to Universal, she's a huge Harry Potter fan. They CLOSED DISNEY!!
Sorry had to vent

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
So you are saying you would rather be in the hospital with covid-19 or in quarantine for 30 days but do not mess your plans up ???

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Wot about MotoGP. No race for them in Qatar last Sunday.Next is Thailand 22 March. I am building this year, so have no trips planned. I will get some riding in tho.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
So you are saying you would rather be in the hospital with covid-19 or in quarantine for 30 days but do not mess your plans up ???
Good news for me is my builder neighbour, will be staying close to home. That means he will be available to be the brains of my building program. We start tomorrow.
He had tickets for Greece. Was gonna take his daughter.

UK

·
Registered
74 Posts
You have more chance of getting rabies than catching corona. There are how many people in America and how many caces? And Florida is not a hot spot. This is an over reaction just like Sars they had 44 deaths back than more people die of the regular flu every year but we don't close down Disney every flu season.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts