Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I started riding about a year ago, took the MSF course and loved it, and went right out and bought myself the prettiest (used) motorcycle (Yamaha V-Star 650) at the dealership. I spent the next year trying really really hard to love riding but something was off. I guess it must have been the bike because last week I rode my boyfriend's Honda Magna 750 and I was like WOW. I LOVE this...this bike is the best thing EVER!

Now I'm starting to feel like a tool for not doing much research on the V-Star and just buying it on a whim. The V-Star feels like a lot of "work" to ride, while the Magna is just so smooth and fun. I guess I'll end up selling the V-Star and probably buying my boyfriend's bike. I guess I'm not the first noobie that's bought the wrong bike out of the gate.

Any reason I should try to like the V-star a little more before I ditch it? I'd love to hear y'all's opinions.

Thanks!

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
One thing that can make a bike feel real sluggish is low tire air pressure. If the bike doesn't have OEM tires and you are following the manual for pressure, you may be under inflated. My bike calls for max of 40 on the rear but I don't have OEM tires. I had to go up to 44 before it road correctly. Just a thought for ya.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Sounds like you've already made the decision yourself. If the shoe doesn't fit, why drag it out any longer? Life is too short to wear bad fitting shoes.;)
If you don't get up in the morning wishing you could go for a ride, IMO you have the wrong bike. What is it about the Magna that you like better? How it fits? Sportier? (A Magna is a sportier cruiser). More fun to ride? I recently changed up my riding style with a new bike and I couldn't be happier.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
I've actually never heard of anyone complaining about a V-Star. I'm thinking there is something wrong which is why I suggested tire pressure but it could have a bent frame as well. The V-Star folks need to chime in here. Maybe there is something simple that could be corrected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've heard good things about V-Stars too...good for beginners, etc, so maybe it's just me. I just find the Magna easier to ride. As a pretty new rider, one of the most nerve wracking things has been taking off at red lights (and not stalling!) and the V-Star does not seem near as forgiving as the Magna if that makes sense. I feel like it takes a lot more coordination on the V-Star to get the perfect balance with the clutch and throttle. Either way, riding the Magna to work this week has been fabulous and fun!...I hate to give the bike back, LOL.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There may be higher forces at work. Don't beat houself up. It could be the right bike for learning on since u just passed the course. I did the same thing 5 years ago when I started to ride. Bought a ninja500 the day after I passed my course. I'm 6'0 200lbs. I was laughed at, told to get a bigger bike etc. I kept my ninja for a year and what it did for my experience and confidence, that bike was a blessing in disguise. Listen to the Biker Gods.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
If youve had the V Star for over a year, sell it! youre a newer rider and feel like its time to grow, go for it!!

Besides a Magna, you should try out some other crusier-ish style bikes to see if theres anything else you like. Dont limit yourself to just that

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"First buys" are often based on emotion and not much else. It takes a while, but each of us finds our real "love" eventually.

It's all about money really. If you can "write a check" for a bike and not have to take a Loan, that's a plus.

That's not to say that we don't buy according to wants or needs, because we do. It's just that "money" seems to rule everything we do these days.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The majority of motorcycles are bought "on a whim". Motorcycles are probably one of the least analyzed major purchases people will ever make. That Magna feels "smooth and fun" because it's got a very refined V4 engine. I'm riding a first generation Honda V4 bike and it's an amazing bit of engineering.
If you have the financial ability to jump brands, buy whatever you feel like having, but do remember, there's another "WOW, I LOVE THIS BIKE!" out there that will make you question your decision exactly the same as before. That's what keeps the assembly lines running.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
The Vstar clutch sucks, there is no other way to put it. If you think that your problem is taking off, get the Clevver clutch lever. It is a simple mod and makes the clutch a lot better. I'm not associated with the company, I did put it on the wife's 650 and it made it a bike she could like. She ended up putting about 30,000 miles on it in two years.

http://www.theclevver.com/

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,326 Posts
I had a Vstar 650 from 3 months an traded it in on a larger bike. I felt the 650 just worked too hard at highway speeds

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I used to own a Shadow 750, and I found it to be an excellent ride. VERY forgiving for a newer rider, but also plenty enjoyable for experienced riders. And where there are a LOT of Shadow 750's out there, finding one to test out should not be all that difficult.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
Your first bike is like your first love--- they're your FIRST, not necessarily your ONLY.
I remember my first love. We shared a crib in the same daycare. I stole her teething ring. She puked up on me. I s*** my diaper.

It was a beautiful moment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Howdy! I started riding about a year ago, took the MSF course and loved it, and went right out and bought myself the prettiest (used) motorcycle (Yamaha V-Star 650) at the dealership. I spent the next year trying really really hard to love riding but something was off. I guess it must have been the bike because last week I rode my boyfriend's Honda Magna 750 and I was like WOW. I LOVE this...this bike is the best thing EVER!

Now I'm starting to feel like a tool for not doing much research on the V-Star and just buying it on a whim. The V-Star feels like a lot of "work" to ride, while the Magna is just so smooth and fun. I guess I'll end up selling the V-Star and probably buying my boyfriend's bike. I guess I'm not the first noobie that's bought the wrong bike out of the gate.

Any reason I should try to like the V-star a little more before I ditch it? I'd love to hear y'all's opinions.

Thanks!
My wife said "ditch it and buy a magna!" She also said "She would not trade her magna for her sisters Harley 1200 sportster!" As you can see by our profile we love our magnas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, this is a timely posting for me because I am looking at a 2007 V-Star. Not to derail Shmoggy's thread, but here goes.

It's great and all to look at and sit on various styles and sizes of bikes at dealerships. Find one you like, but can't ride it because the dealer has not prepped it. Puzzled, the dealer made it sound like the test drive was moved to the back of the deal rather than at the front. Do all dealers do this? How are riders, new and otherwise, supposed to find out how bikes ride and drive before going through commitments and paperwork?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts