Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It's a great habit to double-check left and right before proceeding. Motorcycles can accelerate fast enough where the slight pause won't interfere with traffic. If someone is looking questionable about running the light, just stay put. The people behind you will get over it.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my habit in the city. I get on the throttle right away at lights, but only just enough to get 5-10 feet out so I can see left and right before getting all the way through, but short of the path of cross traffic.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In my part of the world far too many people run the intersection deep into the yellow and some of them into the red so I have gotten into the habit of not "going on the green" but only when I see opposing traffic coming to a stop.

·
Nightfly
3,719 Posts
In my part of the world far too many people run the intersection deep into the yellow and some of them into the red so I have gotten into the habit of not "going on the green" but only when I see opposing traffic coming to a stop.
I with you Dianne, screw the people behine me. I don't even think about going through an intersection till well after the green light. Far too many color-blind people around here.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just FYI, the rider was injured, and will be out of action for a few months, but lived.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have no place in the world to be in that much of a hurry. I wait and make sure people are going to stop before I take off. All it takes is one time and you learned a lesson to last the rest of your life.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Yep, double check those intersections kids. No matter what color your light is, no matter how many wheels you have under you.
"Look both ways before you cross." Mother's advice still rings true.

If the ass-hat behind you starts honking, just smile nice and wave.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Barreling through a green light, especially at a blind intersection, can have bad consequences as well. If I can't see the cross traffic, I slow down enough to stop if I need to. That has saved me being involved in a crash more than once as an inattentive driver went right through a red light.

·
Nightfly
3,719 Posts
Excellent point Dods. It's automatic for me to just slow down and watch for those inattentive drivers at intersections. Saved me many a time as well..

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In DC, I am more cautious as I come upon green lights that just turned so, especially when a bus is in the middle lane or something else is blocking my view of both sides of the street.

A while back, a guy went around a bus to the right after the light turned green, luckily not TOO fast, because the bus was sitting there in the middle of the road waiting on a pregnant woman who was jaywalking. She walked in front of the car in the right lane and was struck. Knocked her down, but at low speed. No permanent damage to her or fetus.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
Intersections are dangerous to be sure .. Have had people blow the horn at me when I stopped for a light that was clearly red .. Some think you are allowed to run red for 5 seconds after it has turned .. Flat out Dangerous

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Intersections are dangerous to be sure .. Have had people blow the horn at me when I stopped for a light that was clearly red .. Some think you are allowed to run red for 5 seconds after it has turned .. Flat out Dangerous
Here in Montreal we say that red lights are just suggestions. Be it my truck or the bike, I always look left and right moving through an intersection, be it from a dead stop or moving through an intersection already green. Saved me more than once.

Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts