Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is an askhole?

An askhole is someone who comes onto the forum as a new, untrained rider, asking for validation of their intent to go buy a brand new 600cc, inline 4 sport bike from experienced riders who know the dangers of starting out on a bike with so much power. They start off appearing to be simply naive, but it quickly becomes evident that all they really want is for someone to tell them it is a good idea.

If you are brand new and want to buy a Gixxer right out of the gates, then that is your prerogative. I wouldn't suggest it, nor would many of the folks here. You are your own person and by all means, do not let us get in the way of your dreams. But please do not waste our time by asking us to endorse such an idea, asking the same question 15 different ways in hopes of getting a different answer. We are very much about having fun safely here...a newby on 120 horses is anything but safe :)

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Awww, come on Hawk, it gives us something to read and talk about in winter months. Remember though, their buddies all ride them and say newbies will outgrow smaller bikes in a week or so.

At least no one has started a thread about the "Wave" yet this year. :D :D

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
We see it all the time hawk. I've never understood this one though. And I've seen it a bunch. We get I'm new here with the statement, "I've been watching for a long time", then get the same question we've seen a thousand times, what bike for a newbie. What you have here is the second most common one. It does get frustrating. I've begun to look at these as folks that want to commit suicide. I'm not sure I'm qualified to help.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah I'd LOVE to join an aviation forum, just to be able to say

"Hi I've never flown a plane but LOVE flight and am planning to get my license in spring. Is a Lear Jet a good starter plane? I'd hate to buy something propeller driven only to get BORED of it in a couple of weeks" ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I hear ya Hawk...My first bike was a ninja 500r and a great bike learn on. I'm 6'1 200lbs and bikers always commented that I was to big for that bike ....I would tell them all to go kick rocks, I'm still learning.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
This is a classic safety problem. First, the idea of a troll vs. a over-excited wannabe; how to tell the difference. Some troll. Others are interested in riding and being a badass. Some are serious, thoughtful and do their research.

How do you tell the difference.

My opinion on first bikes is clear:

But that doesn't mean that if you buy a SuperSport 1000 or a 110 cu.in. as your first bike that you are going to die. Yes, you're probably going to end up paying for repairs and looking foolish (not to mention that awful feeling when you're looking at a bike on its side and you think "It's really mine now. I just customized it...).

If you really want to help the 18 year old "I wanna CBR1000RR" as my first bike I suggest you might point them to an INSURANCE website. Yeah. Unless they've got the cash to outright buy the bike they're going to need to carry some kind of comprehensive coverage which is going to spike the rate. Yes, banks want you to insure their bike so it gets replaced if you wad it.

For the next video series I got a quote for a 24 year old with a new 1K sportbike and comprehensive when 5K for one year. And that was with a good driving record.

Rather than shake a fist maybe we should ignore the trolls and help those overexcited puppies who are piddling on themselves in excitement by throwing a cold shot of insurance costs on them.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a classic safety problem. First, the idea of a troll vs. a over-excited wannabe; how to tell the difference. Some troll. Others are interested in riding and being a badass. Some are serious, thoughtful and do their research.

How do you tell the difference.

My opinion on first bikes is clear:

But that doesn't mean that if you buy a SuperSport 1000 or a 110 cu.in. as your first bike that you are going to die. Yes, you're probably going to end up paying for repairs and looking foolish (not to mention that awful feeling when you're looking at a bike on its side and you think "It's really mine now. I just customized it...).

If you really want to help the 18 year old "I wanna CBR1000RR" as my first bike I suggest you might point them to an INSURANCE website. Yeah. Unless they've got the cash to outright buy the bike they're going to need to carry some kind of comprehensive coverage which is going to spike the rate. Yes, banks want you to insure their bike so it gets replaced if you wad it.

For the next video series I got a quote for a 24 year old with a new 1K sportbike and comprehensive when 5K for one year. And that was with a good driving record.

Rather than shake a fist maybe we should ignore the trolls and help those overexcited puppies who are piddling on themselves in excitement by throwing a cold shot of insurance costs on them.
Great points CaptCrash...you always bring a voice of reason.

Truth be told...and yes, l am tucking my tail...l think l figured out why this is bothering me so much...because l did the same thing when l was that age, and probably haven't forgiven myself for it. I was scared to get on a bike for 20 years because l was too impatient to start off slow and had to have a beast of a bike right out of the gates.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hawk, don't feel like the lone ranger. I very nearly took myself out in 1980 on a KZ900. I started riding in the dirt as well in 1975 and thought the 900 would be just dandy, luckily the bike and I both survived, but I don't recommend that path.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ya, I remember when I first started. It's a bike, I rode a ten speed most of my life, how hard could it be? Ya, right Renee, get your head out of the clouds. My first stunt down the driveway was enough to humble me. I'm happy with my first choice of a bike. In a while I'll be ready for a bigger bike, but there's still more I need to learn on my "little" bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gee whiz Hawk! Did someone Monkieboi with your day?
geez guys,

look at my post... all I said was I was looking at a GSXR 600 on a lesser power mode...

so its not 120 hp, its like 60-70 hp...

but anyways, I still appreciate all the advice and experience! :biggrin:

Happy holidays!!! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'd LOVE to join an aviation forum, just to be able to say

"Hi I've never flown a plane but LOVE flight and am planning to get my license in spring. Is a Lear Jet a good starter plane? I'd hate to buy something propeller driven only to get BORED of it in a couple of weeks" ;)
I love it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts