Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2007 Johnny Pag "Raptor" broke down while he was near my house. When it broke down, my son was in 5th gear, coming to a light. He stopped the bike, and tried to put it into 1st, but it would not go. He had to rev up the motor really high to get it away from the light. Once safely in a parking lot, he "killed it" and it has not been started since then. I'm assuming it is something to do with the transmission but I have had several people tell me that it could be something very simple, such as a broke cable or missing gear teeth. Frustrated with it, he left it at my house and gave me the title. I recently found a bike shop who was willing to take it. He kept it for several months and finally told me he was giving it back because he could not find a site to even buy the parts. Therefore, he was afraid to even tear it apart to see what was going on with it. I recently searched the internet myself, and found that not only is Johnny Pag still in business, but they are still making bikes. I don't know if he just did not want to fool with it, or if he really couldn't figure it out himself. I told my husband that I found the site. He commented that we would probably have to order parts from overseas and that it would be too expensive. He also said that, as it has set up for so long now (2+ years), the carburetor would need cleaning among other things. He thinks it is not worth fooling with because it will end up costing us $1,000 (with him doing the work), and for that price we could find a different bike for me. It is in great physical condition and is still pretty. ;) I DO NOT want to get rid of it. And I have been told that it would be a great learning bike for me to start out on. It was free to me and I only have to fix it. But I have so many people giving negative advice about it that I'm frustrated. I am welcoming any advice. (P.S./ I have tried emailing the Johnny Pag website for their advice but had no response.)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I believe those come with Chinese-made engines and transmissions and it is indeed just about impossible to get replacement parts. They are kind of like disposable lighters, once they stop working they are pretty much done. While likely possible to fix, you have to consider the future reliability, which will probably be pretty low.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I've seen a few Johhny Pags but don't have any experience with them. I did just looked them up and an entire carburetor sells for $188 and a clutch cable for $20, so they do advertise parts for sale at what appear to be reasonable prices.

You can likely get away with re-building / cleaning the carburetor instead of replacing it, and you'll also have to clean the old gas and any crud out of the tank and lines. Check the tires, brakes, etc., as with any bike that's been sitting.

For the not shifting part try pulling in the clutch lever and see if it feels like it's working. If it just pulls in easily you stand a good chance that it's just a broken cable. If the cable is good look at the shift rod when you move the foot lever. See if it moves, and moves the transmission arm. It could also be something as simple as a broken shift rod or a clevis nut fallen off or something.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it's just the 'gas' and 'gunk' in the carburetor you're worried about, you could try a can of Seafoam in the tank FIRST. It may clear up that junk, and allow it to run, WITHOUT having to completely rebuild the carbs. It's a cheap and easy thing to try BEFORE you go crazy thinking you'll have to spend so much $ to 'get it running'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!! You have made me feel better and given me a lot to think about. I really do appreciate it. XOXO

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind as you dive into fixing this bike is it's a copy of an existing bike most likely so you might be able to change things from what it was copied from. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've seen a few Johhny Pags but don't have any experience with them. I did just looked them up and an entire carburetor sells for $188 and a clutch cable for $20, so they do advertise parts for sale at what appear to be reasonable prices.

You can likely get away with re-building / cleaning the carburetor instead of replacing it, and you'll also have to clean the old gas and any crud out of the tank and lines. Check the tires, brakes, etc., as with any bike that's been sitting.

For the not shifting part try pulling in the clutch lever and see if it feels like it's working. If it just pulls in easily you stand a good chance that it's just a broken cable. If the cable is good look at the shift rod when you move the foot lever. See if it moves, and moves the transmission arm. It could also be something as simple as a broken shift rod or a clevis nut fallen off or something.
I agree with Eye, my cousin bought some of these for his grandkids, hes a machinist and an excellent mechanic.......which is a good thing..... because he works on them a LOT, problem is as I have seen, the Chinese don't have their design and casting processes down yet ( At the very least), lots of stress areas have weak casting /insufficient material etc. etc. He has been able to source some parts but has had to actually make others to keep them going.
At our weekly club ride in this past Tuesday ( Yeah, I finally went from "Hang Around" for 4 years to Member) someone ( Visitor) showed up on a brand new Chinese 650 ( ??, I THINK thats what it was) bike, it was brand new and the plastic side cover already had a stress crack. So, all I am saying is ....Im.not impressed. Good Luck on this bike.;)
Ed

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
if the problem is the gears and they are built into the engine, just look for and buy a new engine. That fixes almost everything important...
if you are interested in learning about bikes(heh heh) and want some insight...they are really expensive hobbies, left mostly to the very rich or the most ingrate.
It is not easy to learn to ride, and it will take some time, and well... if you're like me...and you have like an affinity for motorcycles...I feel kind of sorry for you, and you should start looking for a motor to buy(motorcycle is a big word and doesn't cost hundreds, but thousands)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts