Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the early stages of a long road trip, but not with my motorcycle. Driving an SUV and towing a camping trailer, we have just driven across the entire state of Kansas. Eastern Kansas is nice, but as we get further to the west it is just flat, with straight and utterly boring roads. I see a motorcycle every once in awhile heading in the opposite direction and I find I am thinking that on roads like this, on a warm summer day, I don’t mind at all that I am in an air conditioned car on cruise control rather than on my bike. For different reasons I always get the same feeling when I make my rare visits back to the NYC area to visit what family is still there. I see bikes fighting the 24/7 traffic jams, with traffic lights or stop signs just about every block, and at least an hour or two of this environment before one would be onto nice country back roads. I really wonder if I were living in either of those two places if I would even want to own a motorcycle. So as much as I hate the taxes and political climate of where I do live, in northwest Illinois near the Wisconsin border, I am grateful for the great riding that I have access to. I can be on curvy country roads with little traffic within five minutes of leaving my house. But then again, maybe if I lived in the flat boring country of western Kansas, or the nightmare of living in or around New York City, I would need a motorcycle just to save my sanity.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I'm with you. I have access to great curvy roads within 5 minutes of my home here in Northwestern New Jersey.
I can't even imagine trying to ride a bike in NYC.
That is NUTS!
...that said....
In my bike club, we have one member who rides over an hour, from Queens NYC to come meet us and ride with us.
He says he has no desire to even take the bike out in NYC unless he's going for a long ride, far away from the city.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I live in Kansas. I am from Louisiana but have lived all over the place and a few foreign places at that. This is the only place I have ever lived where my tires look brand new on the outside and wore out on the middle.

Centrally located 1000 miles from anyplace I want to be.

And then there is the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then it gets darn cold for a southern boy like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, Kansas is a good place to live for the most part. Jut be prepared to travel to get anywhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't want to ride a bike in heavy traffic like NYC. As far as boring goes, I'm in Florida and it's flat and straight which can get pretty boring too. On the flip side I can ride all year long (though the summer heat/humidity keeps me off the bike sometimes) and riding along the coast and beaches can be nice.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
I find riding along the beach makes it hard to concentrate, especially during spring break

Reactions: EL Pistoffo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even from Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side of Manhattan you're just 15 minutes to the Taconic Parkway. Get up to Poughkeepsie and over the Hudson and make for the Adirondacks. You'll feel human again in no time. The urge to strangle squirrels and greet strangers with "Whatta YOU lookin' at f**kstick?" will subside. A week unplugged in Seamans Lakeside Cabin Number 4 on Long Lake, and you'll be able to give the Dalai Lama a run for "chill cred."

Pro Tip for wherever you may roam: Fire up Google Maps on your phone, pick a destination, and under "Route Options" choose "Avoid Highways". You'll typically be presented with a couple-few options. Tap the squiggliest one furthest afield of big towns. Whatever or pretty much wherever you ride, there's your "happy place." Fire up your bluetooth headphones (these for under 10 bucks will do very nicely--though there are even cheaper ones), and just let the nice lady tell you where and when to turn. Since I ride an old school velocity-challenged Royal Enfield Bullet 500, designed for your granddaddy's roads, which cruises most happily at 50-60 mph and is basically "Interstate-averse," this is standard operating procedure for me. But I guarantee even an Autobahn-ready BMW able to cruise all day and night at twice those speeds will flick around more happily on those two-lane blacktop byways. Or maybe you PREFER the Interstates and motels that smell like mothballs and vanilla with ultra-basic cable? That's swell. Enjoy! If you need me I'll just be half-dozing by the firepit with starlite and whisky-breath.

And if you live in some big flat square state along with Toto and more tumbleweeds and scorpions than trees, there's not much we can do to make your roads "bendier" and more challenging, but you can still get off the beaten. Ghost towns and National and State Parks are cool too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts