Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't imagine what amount of "lack" this guy has, in terms of common sense, experience and knowledge, but.............it all comes out when the time comes for him to "do"..........

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
but did you see the next one, first time Harley ride with a wheelie......everybody knows a Harley can't do that, especially how all that extra weight was positioned

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
but did you see the next one, first time Harley ride with a wheelie......everybody knows a Harley can't do that, especially how all that extra weight was positioned
A Fatboy popping a wheelie is actually pretty impressive!

Especially since he did it on an Ultra. :biggrin:

·
7,762 Posts
The 'starter' interlock was disabled on the bike which is what caused the initial incident: Pushing the starter button with the bike in gear should do nothing---especially not move the bike forward.

Ape hangers, skinny front tire, no experience whatsoever, no helmet and all on a grass lawn. He's lucky he fell before he really gained any speed.

Lesson learned and I hope he's okay.

His Harley sounded awesome!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
21,748 Posts
It did sound darn good didn't it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Seems like a large percentage of these "fail" videos involve Harleys. Is there something about HD's that make folks do dumb things? Just wondering. FWIW, I searched for videos of Triumph fails and couldn't find any.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
That's just a tip over, not a true "fail"! Any anyway, its a Thruxton, not a real Triumph (I only count Thunderbirds and Storms as real Triumphs). In truth, I didn't look very hard for Triumph fails, since I could fill my whole day and night on Youtube watching HD fails!

In all seriousness, I do think HD has more fails, since so many new riders or non-riders want the lifestyle image of being a biker, which to them means only an HD, and often start on a bike far too heavy and large for them to safely handle. Of course it is the rider, not the bike that is at fault. But getting a Harley, then having to tolerate the pain of all the mandatory tattoos might cause a rider to lose focus on the riding and end up with an embarrassing fail!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The 2nd clip is a more official fail.. I edited it in a bit later

Yea I agree, probably of all the brands available, HD's have a very unique culture wrapped around their name. And lots of n00bs see themselves as bad-azz cruiser riders BEFORE they've actually earned their wings on a lesser/smaller bike.

I think HD's mechanically are fine, and don't deserve any blame for what n00bs do on them. I'm willing to bet if you take any one of those HD crashing n00bs & could stick them on any other bike, they would have crashed it too in the same circumstance.

·
American Legion Rider
21,748 Posts
I think what you are seeing is people that dream of the Harley and get one way before they are qualified. Is there another bike that is lusted after more? It is for a lot and I think those are the fails. Harley's are generally bigger than anything someone may be coming from.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I think it was an awesome video, it shows that stupid people are doing their part to boost the economy. A lot of these fails help my retirement account by spending money to fix the bikes back up to sell.

Maybe he needed a Slingshot.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I think it may be the same reason there are more crashes involving Honda Accords than Teslas. It doesn't mean that Tesla drivers are any better, there are simply more Accords out there.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Ape

Ape hangers are always a good choice for the hard of thinking.
A Honda XL250 and soft dirt is where he should have started.
I was told a long time ago, a little knowledge can be dangerous.

But I have also been told on this site. If I have an open mind I can learn a lot from younger folks.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I could fill my whole day and night on Youtube watching HD fails!
If you want to see an un-ending parade of people who buy into an image and quickly exceed the limits of their training and experience, do a search for sport bike fails on Mulholland Drive and you'll be able to fill a week or two with just that one road alone. They get the bike, read some magazines, yap on an Internet forum, and go about sporting "race" gear and replica sponsor stickers on their scoots. Then they go out and try to pretend-race on a public road that almost any ole scooter tramp would enjoy cruising through.

Seems to me to be a waste of perfectly good machines, but as was said, at least they help contribute to the economy.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts