Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, it's been a long time since I worked on a bike, gotta be close to 20 years, and I just picked up a 95 VT100c shadow. I have been experiencing popping on deceleration, more than I think I should, so I changed the plugs (no joy) and pulled off the carbs and did a basic cleaning and rebuild ($35 for a carb kit?, wow!).

Anyway, still not happy and I want to adjust the mixture on the bike. To do that I need to measure the RPMs; and for the life of me I can't find the right tachometer or instructions for connecting one to my bike anywhere!

And here is where I reach out for help. It seems my 20 year old aligator clamp tach that I used on my 74 AMC Hornet wont do the trick, so can someone help me out and tell me what the correct tach is to use and how to connect it up? The coils on my bike are up under the tank and I cant believe I am supposed to pull off the tank each time I want to wire somthing up to check the RPM.

Thanks for the help.

C

·
0 Posts
Question Doesn't anyone use a tach anymore?

I took mine off. I can do it all by ear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no tach on mine to begin with. And I have not been with it long enough to know what is right (by the specs). I need to find out how it is supposed to sound at the right RPM first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would it be possible to use an automotive tester w/tach? Set it on the V8 setting, multiply reading by 4 for a twin cylinder. Am I all wet here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno, I may have found a solution. Called EZ tach, connects to a plug cable. Ordered it on the web, will try it when it gets here. Same time I try to track down the air leak I seem to have.

·
Knees 2 the breeze!
3,445 Posts
Welcome to the MCF from Southern Illinois...good luck!

God bless & ride safe!

Daddio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts