Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve also read a few things about bikes not being ridden enough can get all gunky and corroded. Do you think that’s some thing I should be concerned about?
Um, yes, those along with cracked tires, battery should probably be replaced and the carb needs going through, means the bike will ending up costing more, even if you know how to do it yourself. Often times, in my experience, a bike that's been driven 300ish mile a year, most of the miles were put on the first few years, then mostly sat, so it probably looks goods, but its fitness remains uncertain. They owner may have maintained it, but a bike that has been forgotten about, doesn't get much attention. If you do decide to go look at it and can bring along someone who knows about motorcycles, and what to look for, that would be most advantageous. One tip would to make sure the bike is cold before starting it. A bike that doesn't fire up relatively quickly when cold, will likely need maintenance.

My question would be why would want to buy a bike that's twice as heavy and powerful as the one you just used to get your license? I don't know, maybe you have previous experience, but your goal with your first bike, in my opinion, should be to learn the skills that will save you on road. Things like swerving, panic stops, negotiating a curve, etc., are harder to do on a bigger because you have be concerned about managing the weight and power of a larger motorcycle. Once you've ramped up your skill set, the bigger bikes will still be there. Welcome and good luck my friend.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts