Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finishing my MSF course tomorrow, and chomping at the bit to get my first bike. (I’m 52, 5,8” and average strength.) I’m looking at a 2009 V Star 950 tour with a little over 4000 miles for $4500 on Craigslist. The bike looks immaculate in pictures, and the ad says it’s a one owner bike, it’s always been garaged and covered and on the battery tender.

My question is, does this seem like a good price, in general, and I’ve also read a few things about bikes not being ridden enough can get all gunky and corroded. Do you think that’s some thing I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

David
Water Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We actually learned on Street 500’s. So this is about 150lbs more, which isn’t insignificant, but far from double. I actually ordered a bunch of little red cones for parking lot practice, which I intend to do a lot of. Have to admit I’m a little nerved up about the 50 mile ride home tomorrow, though, if I go ahead and get it. Got some back roads planned out, and when I get into the city speed limits are 35. (Going to avoid the freeway, though a rider friend said it’s easier once you get over being freaked out by the speed.) I’ll be fully geared up and not even thinking about riding above my skill level, so I’m hoping for the best. Definitely a healthy level of anxiety going on, though. That’s a hell of a first ride.

I asked the owner, via email, about my low mileage concerns. Even asked her if I should bring a trailer. She said she’s put a couple hundred miles on it the last month or so and it’s good to go. Don’t have a mechanic available, but I’ll check everything I can think of, spend some time getting used to the friction zone, etc. She lives in the country on a long straight the looks sparsely trafficked, so I’ll get used to it for a while before I head home.

Wish me luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts