Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finishing my MSF course tomorrow, and chomping at the bit to get my first bike. (I’m 52, 5,8” and average strength.) I’m looking at a 2009 V Star 950 tour with a little over 4000 miles for $4500 on Craigslist. The bike looks immaculate in pictures, and the ad says it’s a one owner bike, it’s always been garaged and covered and on the battery tender.

My question is, does this seem like a good price, in general, and I’ve also read a few things about bikes not being ridden enough can get all gunky and corroded. Do you think that’s some thing I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

David
Water Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
767 Posts
Potential for a sweet deal, there. But be aware -- I have responded to many Craiglist ads, successfully once. The other three or four times it was either an attempted scam or a completely misrepresented mess being advertised with a picture of somebody else's bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It certainly would be worth checking out. I bought my Suzuki C90 last fall. It is a 2007 and had exactly 2890 miles when I looked at it. It had been meticulously maintained and I have had absolutely zero issues with it (except replacing the original weather checked tires). So my point is, it just might be jewel, but you’ll have to check it very carefully.

Reactions: Dmchord

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
It looks like it could be a fair deal. Bike prices vary depending on which part of the country you're in. Bring an experienced rider, or better yet, a motorcycle mechanic with you when you go to look at the bike. A friend that rides will know real quick if something is working the way it should or not. Your friend will also be able to give you an idea if something is a quick and easy fix or not and at least a ball park idea on what it will cost to repair.

If there are a few problems, and you still want the bike and you know about what it will cost to fix, you may get a better price on it. Or your buddy might tell you everything is fine with the bike and you will feel a bit more confident with your purchase. Look online for problems with that particular make and model bike. But keep in mind unhappy people complain. If they made a million of those bikes, and thirty people are complaining about something, that's a pretty darn good bike!

You can't have too much information when you go to look at the bike. It does look good, and I hope its a very good bike. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Potential for a sweet deal, there. But be aware -- I have responded to many Craiglist ads, successfully once. The other three or four times it was either an attempted scam or a completely misrepresented mess being advertised with a picture of somebody else's bike.
It’s rather funny to me, your mentioning how many scams or mis representations occur on Craigs list and others. I have been pretty lucky and have not had that experience for anything that I have checked out to buy. In fact, when I went to look at the C90 last fall, it had been listed on CL, and the pictures very poorly represented the bike. I had almost convinced myself to not even look at it. It was three hours away. But, away I went, and after seeing it in person and thoroughly checking it over, I really wanted this bike. It was so much better in person. So, the negotiations began. The tires were original and shot, so that was a big issue to convince the seller that his asking price was a bit high. But, obviously we came to an agreeable price, and home it came with me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’ve also read a few things about bikes not being ridden enough can get all gunky and corroded. Do you think that’s some thing I should be concerned about?
Um, yes, those along with cracked tires, battery should probably be replaced and the carb needs going through, means the bike will ending up costing more, even if you know how to do it yourself. Often times, in my experience, a bike that's been driven 300ish mile a year, most of the miles were put on the first few years, then mostly sat, so it probably looks goods, but its fitness remains uncertain. They owner may have maintained it, but a bike that has been forgotten about, doesn't get much attention. If you do decide to go look at it and can bring along someone who knows about motorcycles, and what to look for, that would be most advantageous. One tip would to make sure the bike is cold before starting it. A bike that doesn't fire up relatively quickly when cold, will likely need maintenance.

My question would be why would want to buy a bike that's twice as heavy and powerful as the one you just used to get your license? I don't know, maybe you have previous experience, but your goal with your first bike, in my opinion, should be to learn the skills that will save you on road. Things like swerving, panic stops, negotiating a curve, etc., are harder to do on a bigger because you have be concerned about managing the weight and power of a larger motorcycle. Once you've ramped up your skill set, the bigger bikes will still be there. Welcome and good luck my friend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We actually learned on Street 500’s. So this is about 150lbs more, which isn’t insignificant, but far from double. I actually ordered a bunch of little red cones for parking lot practice, which I intend to do a lot of. Have to admit I’m a little nerved up about the 50 mile ride home tomorrow, though, if I go ahead and get it. Got some back roads planned out, and when I get into the city speed limits are 35. (Going to avoid the freeway, though a rider friend said it’s easier once you get over being freaked out by the speed.) I’ll be fully geared up and not even thinking about riding above my skill level, so I’m hoping for the best. Definitely a healthy level of anxiety going on, though. That’s a hell of a first ride.

I asked the owner, via email, about my low mileage concerns. Even asked her if I should bring a trailer. She said she’s put a couple hundred miles on it the last month or so and it’s good to go. Don’t have a mechanic available, but I’ll check everything I can think of, spend some time getting used to the friction zone, etc. She lives in the country on a long straight the looks sparsely trafficked, so I’ll get used to it for a while before I head home.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m finishing my MSF course tomorrow, and chomping at the bit to get my first bike. (I’m 52, 5,8” and average strength.) I’m looking at a 2009 V Star 950 tour with a little over 4000 miles for $4500 on Craigslist. The bike looks immaculate in pictures, and the ad says it’s a one owner bike, it’s always been garaged and covered and on the battery tender.

My question is, does this seem like a good price, in general, and I’ve also read a few things about bikes not being ridden enough can get all gunky and corroded. Do you think that’s some thing I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

David
View attachment 74678
My buddy has one. He bought a new HD but said he loves it so much he’s keeping the

Thanks,

David
View attachment 74678
my buddy has one. 45000 miles and no leaks. Loves it. Look on cycletrader and eBay and see what the going price is.. good luck

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I bought my 950 V star , 2013 for $4000.
My opinion is that this bike is really heavy for a beginning rider.

He is also 52 years old. I'd think he would have the maturity to decide for himself if the bike is to big, but if he were in his teens or early 20's, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts