Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just figure since you guys control those steel horses that weigh a few hundred pounds: steering, withstanding vibrations, using legs as shocks, gripping the tank, etc etc etc, does it do anything...toning...better muscle endurance...make you fitter?

Conversely, any -ives like wrist...back....butt pain and any preventative/treatment techniques?

TIA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's great mental exercise and good for your eyes if they are protected. Your shoulders and arms get a good workout, wrists and fingers from clutching and front-braking, ankles from shifting and braking. Not much physical exercise.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I never really feel like I've worked any muscles after a long ride, but I do feel tired, so I suppose I'm burning calories at any rate. Considering how many... generously proportioned bikers you see on the road, I'm not going to say it makes all that big a difference.

It probably is good for the eyes though. I spend most of my days focusing on stuff that's three to five feet in front of me, so the opportunity to focus a hundred or more feet ahead for hours at a time is welcome.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Yeah, riding does little in the way of exercise, though if you ride enough, you will develop more of an endurance for riding longer distances.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Technically yes....but it's not exactly the equivalent of doing presses at the gym. You'll build some muscle from repeated actions, and possibly tone your core to some negligible degree, but you'll probably not do enough to notice a difference, except in your gradual increase in endurance.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
After not riding for awhile due to yet another surgery, I can say your neck stomach and inner thigh do get a workout. You'll find them sore if you take a good ride after being off for awhile. But it doesn't last long and does not actually build muscle. It just tones them slightly. Now riding a horse it totally different by comparison.

·
8,621 Posts
I have noticed that my riding now builds my "Table muscles," since all rides must include a large meal:biggrin:

I personally know that dirt riding will build muscles as in Motocross, Baja, ISDT type endures, hare & hound and even trial bike riding as all muscle groups are used.

Riding most bikes on the street really in my very humble opinion improves nothing but ones frame of mind:biggrin:

Touring on my past Goldwing was like setting on my Lazy Boy recliner and about as much exercise;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've heard that motocross racing or off road racing can be some of the most physically demanding sports out there endurance wise, road racing probably as well. Most of the time when the race is done those guys are sweating a lot, they need to be in really good condition to muscle their bikes around for a half hour or more. Then consider the endurance necessary for the Baja 1000. Just riding around like most of us do not so much, look at bar parking lots full of Harleys, a different kind of conditioning. Being in good shape will make it easier and safer to ride longer distances but riding is not the workout by itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Point of view Bike riding is good for more than saving the planet and your hard-earned cash. It's also one of the most effective workouts you'll ever do. Here's how it can make you a lean, fat-burning machine.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Another way of looking at the OP is: Does riding improve your WAISTLINE!! I've seen some remarkably obese individuals on motorcycles, that just look, well........."wrong" in that scenario!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
My grip may be slightly stronger from using the clutch and brake levers but not enough to try to call it an exercise program. It might be equivalent to using those springy hand grip things a few times each hour. Otherwise, I am just sitting down, watching my surroundings and manipulating the controls. My bet is no more exercise than driving a car. To your point of controlling several hundred pounds, my bike wet, without me on it, weighs around 950 pounds and I don't like to think how much with me on it, but I will stick with my previous comments.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I think that spirited off-road riding would be a pretty good workout. I've never seen any chubby riders doing the Dakar:p

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I know that before we leave on a trip (1 to 3 weeks) we have to do a lot of local riding to tone up those riding muscles. Riding muscles are: butt muscles, lower back muscles, hands, forearms and legs. There is now way our 1st ride of the year can be a 4500 mile trip. You need to build up to it.

I wish that would tone me up and help me lose weight but sadly it doesn't. It does help my mental fitness though. That's something that needs to be experienced, it's too hard to explain. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts