Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought of this, in the expenses covered in the event of an accident are helmets included? Has anyone here had a helmet replaced by insurance?

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Your question got me curious, so I attempted to call (at random) a selection of Insurance Agencies in my area, to see if I could find a concensus.

Turns out, MOST of them were CLOSED today (a Saturday). Then the one Agent that I DID actually speak to, at one particular Agency, (Don't recall their name) had a ton more to sell me (he tried) than the answer to the question I asked him.

My Question: Does Insurance typically cover helmet replacement?

Answer: (whittled down) "Yes, in accidents; pro-rated" and "Not worth it, to insure it, up front, for its own value."

Another phone conversation I had, this time with A GEICO Agent:

Me: "Do you know if Helmets are Insurable?"

Agent: "Yes, they are considered an Accessory, and there are different values applied to them, depending on the State you live in. In YOUR case (Connecticut) there is a $400.00 replacement value. Some States have a $500.00 replacement value in their GEICO Policies."

Hope that helps,
-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
They'll replace but you must show proof of purchase which must include date of purchase. Progressive came through great in my oops.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Showing "POP" would be a hassle for me...........I didn't save the receipt, and the purchase was quite a while ago!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the depreciation of something that accumulates mileage like the bike, but how do they calculate depreciation on a helmet? Approximate hours of use? If I were to spend less than $100 on a helmet (I do) I wouldn't really expect to get anything, but if it was $500 or more I might.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have GEICO. When I wrecked, they paid 80% of what the guy found my helmet selling for locally. No receipt. I did have to give them the old helmet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes. And Progressive replaced all my damaged gear in my accident not my fault. Even sunglasses that fell off and got scratched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts