Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little out of the loop on Victory, maybe someone can catch me up on what happened? My nephew had one and he said when they went out of business he couldn't get it serviced anymore, then he totaled it so it's no longer a thing for him. I see them for sale occasionally and they are beautiful bikes. But are there big parts and service issues? If you own one, how has it been?

·
American Legion Rider
22,195 Posts
Read some of Mike721's posts. He has 2 Visions. In a nut shell, if you can work on your own or have a good independent shop, they are still an excellent machine. I'd certainly get a Victory before an HD myself just because of their dependability. I think Indian benefitted from them myself as well.

·
Visionary
3,963 Posts
I have 3 Victory bikes, a Kingpin and 2 Visions, they are reliable and solid machines that will run a long time with very little maintenance. Mine have 25K, 118K, and 40K miles, and only the high mileage one has needed anything other than gas, tires, and oil and even that one has not been bad at all, just a few things that wore out and needed to be replaced. I hope to get 200k miles out of it, and then decide if it gets a new engine or gets retired. That 08 is still my daily ride to work, and I have done a 1000 mile day on it in the last year and would have no concerns doing another. Parts are still available from the mfr. and there is a small but dedicated aftermarket as well. I'll wear mine out I'm sure before the parts become unavailable. There are some great values in used ones right now, one can literally buy a 5 year old, 23K new Vision or Cross Country with less than 10K miles for around $6000. That's a LOT of motorcycle for the money.

The drawback is that as Hog said, if you can't do your own work you might have a hard time finding someone to work on it, though there are still some dealers that moved to Indian ( same parent company) but still service Victory as well, or else find an independent shop. It all depends on the area I guess, this area had 3 or 4 Vic dealers within 50 miles so there are a lot of them still on the road, and we still have a local dealer.

·
7,940 Posts
A good Vice Grip, adjustable wrench and a Ball peen Hammer is all ya need to work on Harley's, Indian's or Victory's as they are very elemental, Watson. (y)

Around the Bible Belt/ Heartland, Victory's are a dime a dozen or so it seems! I have seen some absolutely flawless ones with very few miles at an average of around $5,000---for $15,000 machines!

The 106CI and 6 speed model is one of the most reliable bikes on the road.

Sam:)

·
Visionary
3,963 Posts
Do I need a metric or standard adjustable wrench to work on a Harley?
Asking for a friend

Reactions: Stablefull

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What I understood was Polaris was going to support Victory for another 18yrs after shutting it down

The reason Polaris shut down Victory(they ddin't go out of business) is because they took too much business from Indian........People come in to check out an Indian and ride off on a Victory spending way less $$$$

Here, you can take anything in for service at the Yamaha store, or the Kawasaki store(not the same store)
Especially the Yamaha store......they sell Can-am

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
247 Posts
The reason Polaris shut down Victory(they ddin't go out of business) is because they took too much business from Indian........People come in to check out an Indian and ride off on a Victory spending way less $$$$
That really sucks for Indian but damn do I wish Polaris put more money into 2 wheels.

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I understood was Polaris was going to support Victory for another 18yrs after shutting it down

Here, you can take anything in for service at the Yamaha store, or the Kawasaki store(not the same store)
Especially the Yamaha store......they sell Can-am
My nephew bought the bike at the dealer after they announced they would no longer be building them, and he told me that they told him they would be servicing them for 10 years after they quit manufacturing them, but a year after they quit selling them the Polaris dealer wouldn't work on it anymore.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
247 Posts
Why a dealer wouldn't service a vehicle?????? I guess stupidity, thats money out of his pocket
Some dealers will only service vehicles who's brands their partnered with because of a huge discount on OEM parts from the factory. It could also be kinda problematic finding victory certified mechanics. You'd have to get someone who went to the trade school and got hired by a victory dealer, unless being a certified Polaris tech means you can do Victory aswell, then it shouldn't be too bad. Down here in South Fl we have a number of Victory dealerships luckily. My dealership works with the big 4, Polaris, Indian and some others but yeah we wouldn't be able to service a Victory here. Our mechanics just aren't certified for the brand and since we aren't paired with em we'd be paying consumer price for service parts.

·
American Legion Rider
22,195 Posts
All the dealerships must have a way to access remove and replace instructions for other brands. At least the nearest Harley dealership I was able to get to once appeared do that very thing on my Indian in an emergency I had once. It took them longer which I had to pay for but they got the job done. I don’t know how extensive or deep they can go but they got the job done and the Indian dealer later had no problem with what they did. With the big www there just isn’t too much that can’t be figured out and maybe that’s all they did. But it looked like they had more than just forum or YouTube stuff being displayed when they asked me back there to see something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts