Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, so please go easy on me :)
I have an interesting and a strange question. Is there anyone here who doesn't enjoy the weather/wind while riding?
I recently had an argument with a friend who owns a Goldwing. He said, "Who doesn't enjoy it"? I was completely surprised. Is it really true?
Because i personally don't. Does that make me the weird one?! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lol...some wind is ok but too much wind sucks. Or blows rather! I ran into way too much wind back in the mid 90's while I lived in west Tennessee. I tried to make it passed a f-4 tornado and failed miserably. I Got tore up pretty bad and my bike (95 katana) was a total loss. I know it's not what you meant but...

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I love the wind in my face while riding. I guess I'm kind of cheating on that though because I don't like riding without a windshield. That's the 1st thing I put on my bike. I don't love riding in a strong wind either.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I enjoy the wind coming at me, but the crosswind less, though you get used to it. When I first started riding I remember it coming from the left, then a block later, the right. I never would have found that out riding in a car.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
Had a Serious North Wind Blowing in the Dakotas heading east coming back from Sturgis and Noticed Other Riders leaning like they were in a Curve .. Then realized I was doing the same, is not fun caught in a crosswind of any magnitude .. Otherwise Love the Wind in my Face ..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with the comments - cross winds that push you into the wrong lane are not fun to deal with. But the feeling of the wind on you while driving your bike and not weather related is great.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Breezes are good... strong winds not so much.

Cross winds stink, both when landing an airplane and when riding bikes.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
My windscreen is low so my helmet is in clean air unless I hunker down.

I like the wind but sometimes it's too noisy. I'm shopping for a quieter helmet.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
Puttering around at 25-35 MPH wind in your face is fine. Highway speeds it starts wearing at you.

Crosswinds just plain suck,

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol! Good to know i'm not the only one :D
I also have allergies and even a little wind gives me a runny nose sometimes, which sucks ofcourse. Thanks to the helmets ofcourse, but like Oz said, sometimes, the helmet doesn't help much.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Oz, I'd have to do some serious "hunkerin' down" to get my 6'4" frame lower than your windscreen! :p
Metaldoc, I'm 6"1" and have lots of room but at 6'4" if you're below the windscreen that's not called hunkering down that's called getting intimate! :biggrin:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Metaldoc, I'm 6"1" and have lots of room but at 6'4" if you're below the windscreen that's not called hunkering down that's called getting intimate! :biggrin:
Well, a man should 'know' his machine... :p

Much of my height is in my back making it worse yet.

·
American Legion Rider
18,590 Posts
Usually wind is no big deal. But I've had two places I could have lived for ever and been fine without the wind there. Tioga Pass in California is one place you don't want to ride with wind. There is nothing between you and the route to the bottom if you get blown too hard. I had an 85 Electra Glide that still had the imprint from my grip on the grips from one early winter storm that blew in as we was camp at the bottom on the east side once. I would give anything to have had a camera to take a picture of the guard at the top as he just waved two fools jugging alone up and over into Yosemite. The other was the cross wind we was in all day trying to get to Phoenix. When we got there and listened to the weather, trucks and RV's were being blown over all day. Sometimes I'm amazed I'm still here. So I've had all the wind I really care for. Doubt it will be the last though.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts