Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first bike and all I know is that it's a 1981 Kawasaki 550cc, the only bikes I've been able to find that look like it are the KZ550C and the KZ550C2. However even then I can't find any websites with the actual specifications on the bike and that's what I'm looking for primarily, can anyone help me figure out what this is and what it's specs are?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
For sure! I don't know that there is much if any difference between the two. LTD I think was just a package, just like there are 5 different models of Harley Sportsters.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
A lot of the EX500r engine is from this model bike too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I absolutely love it, I had been looking on craig's list for like a month plus and literally every time I liked a bike enough to go check it out I would set up a day a few days away with the seller then right before I finally left to see it I would call and make sure it was still there and they'd say something like "I just sold it this afternoon" so when I saw this one I called the seller, immediately drove an hour to see it, heard it start, didn't even ride it and bought it. I've been riding it a fair amount now and am just lucky that I didn't accidentally buy a total piece of ****. I named her Willoughby :D

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
For sure! I don't know that there is much if any difference between the two. LTD I think was just a package, just like there are 5 different models of Harley Sportsters.
Best I can remember, the LTD had a 16" rear wheel, the "STD" came with an 18" rear. Totally different seat and rear fenders too.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
A lot of the EX500r engine is from this model bike too.
Not really! The EX500 engine is a parallel twin and the KZ500/550's were 4 cylinders.:grin:

I knew a couple of guys that had them and they were great bikes with good performance, especially for small 4 cylinder scoots:grin:

Sam

·
On The Road Again!
4,191 Posts
The first thing I noticed is that the passenger sits AFT of the rear axle!
That thing must handle GREAT with a big girl on the back! (sarcasm off)
LOL!!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I absolutely love it, I had been looking on craig's list for like a month plus and literally every time I liked a bike enough to go check it out I would set up a day a few days away with the seller then right before I finally left to see it I would call and make sure it was still there and they'd say something like "I just sold it this afternoon" so when I saw this one I called the seller, immediately drove an hour to see it, heard it start, didn't even ride it and bought it. I've been riding it a fair amount now and am just lucky that I didn't accidentally buy a total piece of ****. I named her Willoughby :D
Sometimes you just know :)

Did you get a great deal on her?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes you just know :)

Did you get a great deal on her?
I thought so when I was buying her then I looked it up and I think I payed about what she was worth. The guy asked for a thousand and well I was to tired of not having a bike to even try and talk him down but then he also drove the bike like an hour to my house which was awesome and also served as the test ride since I never took one.. haha

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,504 Posts
Not really! The EX500 engine is a parallel twin and the KZ500/550's were 4 cylinders.:grin:

I knew a couple of guys that had them and they were great bikes with good performance, especially for small 4 cylinder scoots:grin:

Sam
Yeah and the ex500 were liquid cooled too. Not the whole thing just parts lol. Beg my pard.

Anyway it is a good solid bike will provide years of fun.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I thought so when I was buying her then I looked it up and I think I payed about what she was worth. The guy asked for a thousand and well I was to tired of not having a bike to even try and talk him down but then he also drove the bike like an hour to my house which was awesome and also served as the test ride since I never took one.. haha
Not sure what it's like in your neighborhood, but where I live, that was a great deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts