Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with my friend about tank slappers, I'm telling him about this video I remember seeing long ago, maybe decades ago, where some research project shows a POV camera on a motorcycle, riding no-handed, rider intentionally jabs one hand grip sending bike into a no-handed wobble, and the standard dynamics of a motorcycle and gyroscopic effect, the wobble gradually goes away on its own and the bike and rider continue on no-handed.

Has anyone else here seen this before and maybe remember who made it? Far better, anyone have a link to a youtube posting of this video?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
Is this the one?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool old vid, but nope. The one I'm thinking of the rider is going along smoothly, intentionally causes a wobble by striking one hand grip and the bike wobbles then recovers with no hands on the bars.

In any case this video makes me thankful I'm 230 lbs haha

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Might it be this old Dunlop tire video you are referring too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think so, unless I missed where they rode no handed and jabbed at the grip to induce wobble.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I remember the video and I thought Dunlop was the sponsor but maybe not. I thought this one it. Sorry then, that was my best shot.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
Might it be this old Dunlop tire video you are referring too.
Well, this confirms it. I'm not losing any weight, it's too dangerous.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
This subject has come up in the past more than once. Murray worked at an advertising company that had the Dunlop contract. Rake and trail has been understood for a very long time. It is what prevents the gobbly wobbly wheel as described in a Bill Crosby funny piece. When the videos were made, countless thousands of folks were riding bikes without the problem. Look at post number two. High bars, master cylinder, speedo tack arrangement. Mid to late seventies Japanese. I have one or two of that vintage bikes. I used to race against those kind of bikes in the production classes. None of the problems reported actually occurred. A couple of problems we did have with early Japanese. Crappy brakes before discs. Bikes that did not go where you pointed them, and flexi flyers when the engines got bigger.
The double F was a problem at the track, especially as the horsepower was increased. I can quote verse and chapter for those that would like to learn more.
My friend Bruce recently retired from Canadian Honda, after 39 years. Never heard of the problem.
What both of us do not know, is how to check and calibrate ABS front brakes. Jumping on the binders to see what happens, may not be very scientific.
With the above, we need to differentiate between gobbly wobbly, and fine handling. Both were lacking in early Japanese street bikes.
A piece of paper, a pencil, coffee cup and ruler, are all you need to work on your own rake and trail design.
Gobbly wobbly wheels on shopping carts have neither on the non turning wheels. The turning wheels vary.

UK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.