Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I was coming home around noon today in the pickup truck,
on a stretch of road that I usually ride on my bike, when I almost got it.
I was following a flat bed/roll off/tow truck. Luckily, I wasn't following too
closely. He had a wooden pallet with a V8 engine strapped to
the deck. He hit a bump....or something...and that big V8
came bouncing off of the truck and rolling down the road
ahead of me, scattering broken bits and parts everywhere!!
I hit the brakes and stopped maybe 50 feet or so from the
engine. He of course slammed on his brakes and hopped
out of the truck. At this point I slowly went around him
and his now sadly de-parted (pun intended) engine.
Since he was carrying only a complete engine and nothing
else, I'm guessing that engine was intended for some
engineless vehicle somewhere. But I don't think they'd want
it now, after seeing all the bits and pieces of it bouncing
down the road at 40 mph.
And he may not even work there anymore after that fiasco.
I imagine he must have had a heck of a time getting what
was left of his engine back up on the flatbed, considering
that an engine like that can easily weigh around 7 or 8
hundred pounds.
So boys and girls, today's lesson is.....
NEVER follow too closely behind a truck hauling ANYTHING!
I'm just glad that I wasn't on my bike with all of that
shrapnel flying in the air.

Oh yeah....that stretch is pretty heavily patrolled by the
local police. If they got there before he got
that thing reloaded, I'll bet he got a nice ticket for having
an improperly secured load!!!

(P.S. First time I ever saw a big engine like that go 40 mph
without a car attached! LOL)

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
That truck driver obviously did not know how to secure his load. Flat bed hauling requires a little more thought as compared to just putting it in a dry enclosed trailer. I wonder if the engine was usable after taking the hit?

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the engine was usable after taking the hit?
When that engine hit the road at 40 mph, it tumbled and bounced like crazy, shedding
parts as it went. I wouldn't want it in my car after that. If it landed on the front pulley,
it could have bent the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Wow, glad that I turned out as well as it did. Were you on your motorcycle it could've been much, much worse. I don't think that driver is gonna have a very good weekend. Hope it all turns out okay.

Another reason to not ride behind large vehicles (buses, trucks, etc.) is that they block your view of the road and they also block you from being seen by other drivers. I stay far behind them for those reasons (or ahead of them). Never directly behind.

Everyone have a safe weekend!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Wow! So was it even attempted at being secured? I bet your right, he is probably unemployed now, and has a ticket to boot.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! So was it even attempted at being secured? I bet your right, he is probably unemployed now, and has a ticket to boot.
I believe the engine was on a wooden pallet and tied to the truck somehow, but obviously
not very well.
It happened rather fast but I seem to recall seeing the pallet hanging off of the side
of the truck as I passed by him.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Last summer I was following a big logging truck when one of the recap tires on its trailer exploded throwing shrapnel everywhere. This was on a twisty two-lane, and earlier I had been up close looking for a chance to pass. When I began to smell burning rubber, though, I had slowed and dropped well back just in case. Glad I did! A flying, spinning chunk of tire casing could literally take your head off.

Following another vehicle too close is just as dangerous as being followed too close.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
In 2004, I had just bought and picked up a new Ducati 900ss in Oklahoma City and it was riding on my motorcycle trailer back to Carthage, MO, on I 35 N, in light traffic.:smile_big: I was in the middle lane of about 5 total, we all were doing about 55 mph and I noticed a pickup hauling a new riding lawnmower in a small, flat open trailer. I moved a couple of lanes over and just as I did, I saw the mower just roll of the back and like an invisible ANGEL was steering it, the mower stayed absolutely straight in it's lane, with no drama or debris at all! It was a miracle that the riding mower didn't flip end over end and hit someones vehicle:surprise:

Following big rigs too closely is always dangerous as they will 'straddle' objects in the road and usually they are right in the middle when we see them and by then it may be too late to move!:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Last summer I was following a big logging truck when one of the recap tires on its trailer exploded throwing shrapnel everywhere. This was on a twisty two-lane, and earlier I had been up close looking for a chance to pass. When I began to smell burning rubber, though, I had slowed and dropped well back just in case. Glad I did! A flying, spinning chunk of tire casing could literally take your head off.

Following another vehicle too close is just as dangerous as being followed too close.

For this reason it really bothers me seeing people right up close to that bumper on the trailers. I have had blow outs and watched cars damn near loose control behind me because of the flying rubber, add to it seeing bikes back there that close. I personally never seen a tire blow out onto a biker, but I never want to either (although I am sure it has happened). If I see bikes trying to pass me and are "looking" to get around me by being that close I usually slow down and get over, even if on the rumble strips. I honestly don't know if I could take seeing a fellow biker injured from an exploding tire.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
I was going to ask about the pallet and if it was still on the flat bed, but you answered that question. Because the pallet could have been secured and the engine not properly attached to it. But it doesn't sound like that is what happened. Sucks to be the truck driver or the engine owner.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I met a guy years ago that liked to play golf. He told me that one day he was headed home from the golf course and he was pulling his golf cart on a small trailer.

He was on a 4 lane highway with a 55 MPH speed limit and as he came to his turn off, he moved into the left turn lane and started slowing down, next thing he saw was his golf cart passing him.

He stopped in the turn lane and watched his golf cart run down the highway, hit the cement median and flip over. Fortunately traffic was light and no other cars, or golf carts, were involved.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I see gators(truck recaps) on the roads all the time. Major highways that is. Don't see it on secondary roads too often. But I think we can all thank something, luck or in my case as others, my guardian angel or Lord above, for keeping us safe around those trucks as we pass or follow them. There's just a lot of chances out there that something could have or still could go very wrong. I'm thankful anyway. Now just watch, I probably should have kept my trap shut.:surprise:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I met a guy years ago that liked to play golf. He told me that one day he was headed home from the golf course and he was pulling his golf cart on a small trailer.

He was on a 4 lane highway with a 55 MPH speed limit and as he came to his turn off, he moved into the left turn lane and started slowing down, next thing he saw was his golf cart passing him.

He stopped in the turn lane and watched his golf cart run down the highway, hit the cement median and flip over. Fortunately traffic was light and no other cars, or golf carts, were involved.
A local road goes under a railroad bridge, one day there was boat, on its trailer, smashed into one of the bridges pillars.

Really irks me to see people so sloppily/dangerously load stuff...pleases me when they fail without harm to others....local home improvement store...guy loads a 4' stack of ribbed steal siding on a flat bed half truck...looked like it was 51% on the truck, 49% hanging off..he goes through the security gate and half way out the parking lot the load slides off the back and folds in half! LOL! OMG! Justice! He turned a few $1000 worth of metal roofing/siding into a $100 pile of scrap metal.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Last summer I was following a big logging truck when one of the recap tires on its trailer exploded throwing shrapnel everywhere. Glad I did! A flying, spinning chunk of tire casing could literally take your head off.
MythBusters!

In "Exploding Tire of Death" Adam and Jamie try to find out if an exploding truck tire can kill.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049274/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts