Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Erik Buell's eponymous motorcycle brand was shuttered by parent company Harley-Davidson in October 2009, Buell came back a month later with EBR Racing. In 2010, Joseph Sousa, Matt Sienkiewicz, and their camera crew began following Erik Buell and the new EBR outfit to document the rise of his new company, from the rebirth of the factory and getting former Buell workers back on the job, to the company's fortunes on the track during its first year back in AMA racing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/27/ebr-erik-buell-documentary-video/

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
There was an EBR / Hero vendor truck set up here last Bike Week. It was in an area all by it's lonesome and didn't look like it was attracting much attention. I think I heard they recently went belly up again.

(EBR, not Hero.)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wasn't their main bike around $20,000...........

Who's going to pay 20k for a crotch rocket that isn't a racer, and the racer would probably just let them give it to him and advertise for them.

If I was going to get a crotch rocket, and I might, and there was a 500cc EBR for the same price as a Ninja 650 or Yamaha 600, I'd give it serious consideration..........

The reason I don't have a crotch rocket is because it would be waste of money, I'd never get out of it all it has to give, hell I don't get everything out of my Vulcan 900C.....so 20k for something I'd never see half its potential(unles I'm watching someone else ride my bike), not gonna happen.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Expensive because it is a carefully crafted work of engineering. He made some crazy advances in technology and the Buell team was competitive.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
A local shop carries EBR bikes, I checked out a couple of them last time I was there. Different to say the least, but then again Erik Buell has always done things his own way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Expensive because it is a carefully crafted work of engineering. He made some crazy advances in technology and the Buell team was competitive.
Apparently many people thought "who the hell is going to pay 20k for a crotch rocket" and very few thought "oh what wonderfully crafted work, I'll pay 20k"

Not a very smart business plan.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
^^^Yeap.

There are those who said Harley was wrong to pull the plug, and those who will say the same thing about Hero. Bottom line: If you make a bike that enough people want at a price they are willing to pay, you stay in business and prosper. Technical innovation and racing success alone won't sell bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts