Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I read in a few places that some states require you to have a license before you can get ride a motorcycle because it is not a license but simply a small endorsement (sticker) on your drivers license that says you can drive a motorcycle. Is that right? More importantly, is that how it works in CA?

Current plan is take written test in 2 weeks. Pass, get permit. Buy motorcycle. Take permit to BSC. Pass and skip skill test in license. take papers to dmv. Wait for license in the mail. Is this all right?

I do not have any form of license at the moment.
That means that there are 2 written tests right? A motorcycle one and a road signals one. Is that it? I have read the booklet and the website but I find their information very confusing. Add in half truths from reading different answers to simple question and you get a ton of confusion.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
There was a time where getting a motorcycle license was a way to get on the road before others. Guess the times have change if there is a question about that now. I agree with Eye, check your DMV. Everywhere is different.

·
Registered
886 Posts
DarkAriel7, here in Maryland the short answer would be yes, you are required to get a license for a car first as a motorcycle permit is an endorsement on that license. The other guys telling you to talk to the DMV in your state is the best answer as there may be at least fifty different answers depending on the state you live in. Here in Maryland that car looks real good when it rains or snows, you need to carry more stuff than a bike can handle etc. The DMV , like all things governmental is made to be confusing and confounding.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Generally yes, because a basic license includes training on the rules of the road. A licence indicates you've learned how to drive and what those rules of the road are. A cycle license is an additional endorsement to that license. I don't know of any states that let you get a cycle license without first having a drivers license. But as others have said, check with your state's DMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess I will just have to call.
I am on vacation for another week outside the country and reading up to get my permit as soon as I get back so I can't call the DMV now. I was just getting impatient.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
What state are you going to land in? Maybe someone here knows but the rules change all the time so I'd still get it from the source.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What state are you going to land in? Maybe someone here knows but the rules change all the time so I'd still get it from the source.
Thanks. I am from California. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I wont need a car license. (I do not know how to drive)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I found the answer to my own question.

No Driver License
If you don't have a regular driver license, you must also:

Present an acceptable birth date and legal presence document.
Give the DMV your true full name.
Provide your Social Security number.

From the DMV website.

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Rules

Whatever the rules, there are two things that need to be learned.

How to ride a motorcycle. The rules of the road.

Then the scary part: Riding a motorcycle or driving a cage, on the public highways. There are a lot of things that happen, that you never thought of. It is best to get a bike that is easy to right. That makes learning to ride easier, and riding on the highways easier.
Remember this. You will have right of way driving my belch mobile the farm truck. You will not have right of way riding a motorcycle.

Unkle Krusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Just ride like everyone is trying to kill you. It will seem like that anyway so be prepared for them to do exactly what you don't want them to do. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ride like everyone is trying to kill you. It will seem like that anyway so be prepared for them to do exactly what you don't want them to do. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes.
I ride a bike in LA almost every day. I always do so with that assumption. It has worked well thus far. Cars can be really jerks to bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Merry Christmas! Some states if you take the rider safety course it actually counts as your license exam, all you need is a riders permit

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
In most states there will be a basic written test that you will take for any license. After that endorsements like a bike endorsement will be an added written test. I do not know all of the state requirements for licenses but you can figure that most states are set up to give a basic driving test for any and all people wanting a basic "drive a car to work" type license. After that they add on requirements for heavy trucks, bikes and so on. Please check the requirements in your own state since they vary a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts