Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you ever park on the sidewalk or other non-designated areas?

• Never! I always park in designated parking areas only.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Ahh sometimes. But only in quieter out-of-the-way places

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Heck yeah all the time! Like right by the mall doors! And I've NEVER got ticketed or harassed, or...

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Heck yeah all the time! But I have received a few tickets/harrassments :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know motorcycles can be parked in creative ways, like up on the sidewalk or even between 2 parked cars. I've seen mall parking lots that are PACKED with cars, and a biker will show up, hop the curb & park right beside the mall doors :D The bike itself is usually in no ones way, but technically it is not in a legal parking space.. How about you? How often if ever do you park "creatively?" :wink:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
It's like smoking pot, speeding, sinning, whatever. Why does MY breaking a rule, a social convention, or the law, in a way which doesn't affect others at all, (and not getting caught) make SOMEONE ELSE so upset?

Do they REALLY think a MC on the sidewalk is gonna prevent the firemen from doing their job? Get real...

I choose never to worry about what the "Get a Life!" people might think. I've got a life, I'm happy, and I sometimes get to do things others don't!

Including parking creatively.

Life's unfair, deal with it.

Besides, kids like to look at my bike. Kids of ALL ages...

The public, because of the 1%ers, is by and large terrified to mess with someone's motorcycle. That works in my favor....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've read the post over a couple times and I just don't see where NordicMan says parking creatively is a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wade you really need to stop being so conservative.. please tell us how you truly feel! :wink:

I have no problem with creative parking, although I've seen cases where an obnoxious biker parked & the bike is jutting WAY out into pedestrian traffic. So much so that a wheelchair, or even a couple people walking in tandem, can't get past it..

Personally I've been too chicken to try the "spot by the mall doors" yet :frown:

From what I hear in most jurisdictions, cops don't normally ticket bikes parked "illegally", unless someone calls & complains. Then they ticket/tow

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The ones that upset me are the ones who park in the striped off spaces next to the handicap spots. I've known people who need that space to get their chair situated to get out of their cars.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I/we park legally in parking spots. We were told once by a worker at our local WalMart that most bikes park in the lined off areas between the light pole and short steel post, closest to the store. I assume they think their bikes are safer there but I've seen lots of kids/teens reach over and rub their hands along the bikes as they walk by. I've often wondered how many were knocked over.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I usually park in a parking spot. However, while in school all the other motorcyclists parked next to the bike racks on the sidewalk. It was a very wide sidewalk at the entrance to the building so they weren't in the way at all.

When I go to places like Walmart I'll park in the striped off spots at the front of the store, between the concrete poles that they always have. Even if I parked next to a handicapped spot, there's no way at all I would interfere with anyone, and the concrete poles provide a nice blockade against renegade cars that may swerve into or crash into my bike.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
At the store I work at overnight, the few times I have rode to work, I park on the sidewalk underneath the roof over the entrance way. (But I've been known to park my car there during snowstorms, too lazy to scrape). But the store is closed and I'm usually the only one who drives to work. And I'm the boss at night....But normally I park in a regular parking spot. It would be nice to see more bike specific parking, something that had those concrete poles to protect them from the cagers.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Out of sheer paranoia of having my bike backed-over by some brainless SUV owner, I park up against the building if it isn't in anyone's way. The Target and WalMart in my area have HUGE, wide sidewalk areas in front of the stores, so yes...I utilize them. Probably hacks off the lazies that have to walk 20 yards from their cars to the door, but I'm not parking my bike in harm's way to appeas them. It's not for my convenience (I park my car WAYYYY out away from everyone and don't mind the walk). It's for the safety of my property.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
What would be your reaction if you came out, Wade, and found your bike ticketed or towed?

It depends on where I am as to where I park. Here in Daytona most stores have designated motorcycle spots. If it's a place that doesn't, I usually use a parking spot. Out of town I'll almost always use a parking spot, since I don't know what the local attitude might be. Most grills and bars are okay with sidewalk parking if they don't have designated bike spots. They expect it. Heck, at one bar here you can just ride up and park at the bar itself, as long as it isn't during Bike Week or something.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was thinking about parking this morning. My question was do you park at the front back or middle of the space?

As to sidewalk, I park on sidewalks in from of houses that have little to no pedestrian traffic. At a business I normally park in a parking space, but on occasion I will park in the striped area.

At the store "Iron Pony" they park on the sidewalk and have signs saying do not touch bikes.

About people (children) touching bikes, the first time I took the motorcycle safety class they talked about a motorcycle being an attractive nuisance. Now I do not know if that is still the case but I can see the attraction for a child to a motorcycle. Heck, I will go look at a parked motorcycle. (Don't we all) :)

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
djj55 said:
My question was do you park at the front back or middle of the space?
Depends on what you mean by front or back. Not in the middle but you want to be on the outer part of the space so idiots can see your bike before they just pull in blindly. To me that's in the back.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you park on a sidewalk you will probably get a ticket. Our sidewalks here aren't that big and we have a lot of foot traffic. We allow creative parking for bikes, but sidewalks aren't part of that equation.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, I do. In Amsterdam, the sidewalk is the only place where you can legally park your bike. As in almost everywhere in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Different places, different standards. I think that Christine has helped us define the question. It seems the real question is "in the US do you park on the sidewalk?" At least the answers will all be relevant.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Different places, different standards. I think that Christine has helped us define the question. It seems the real question is "in the US do you park on the sidewalk?" At least the answers will all be relevant.
Yes well I know a typical residential street sidewalk is only about 3 feet wide & that's clearly too narrow to park a bike on without blocking pedestrians. I meant in my original note other areas like some stores often have HUGE cement frontages sometimes 15-20 feet wide. Easy to park a bike on & not irritate any pedestrians. Still though, it's not technically legal to park a bike there but I see so MANY bikes do it all the time, with no apparent consequence.

.. so I was just curious how others felt about it & if they parked that way too. So far a lot of chatter but very little voting :p

That's interesting Christine you say you basically HAVE TO park on the sidewalk where you live? Where do cars park, and if you parked there too would you get a ticket?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts