Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the ROCKET this morning on my usual Breakfast ride and put 186 miles round trip on her, after consuming enough high calorie stuff at the Buffet to kill the average man:)

I rode from Carthage to Marionville to Crain and skirted the western edge of Branson, then went west into the Mark Twain National forest and past Roaring river state park, through Cassville and north back to home base.

it started out at 75 degrees and with the Humidity it actually felt cool, however it was 90 when I got home with a 100 degree heat index.

I noticed today that there were long stretches of highway where I was cruising along at 55-65 mph and I glanced down at the gear indicator gage and I'd been in 4th gear for quite a few miles. This sure isn't the first time I've done this of course but it seemed like today, I did it a lot. I guess big bikes don't easily give away the fact that they are in a lower gear, since the rpm's are so low anyway.

How about you? Does it happen to you?

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spend most of the time in 4th gear going 60 or 65 mph. Only time I'm in 6th gear is on the interstate cruising over 80mph.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Never on my little bike. In fact I'm almost always checking to see if sixth gear has magically appeared. ;) At 65 she's turning about 4500, twist a little harder, the power band kicks in at 5000 and the happy scream she puts out lets you know how much power she has. I can't imagine the sound she would make in 4th at that point.

Now on our Vision...yeah there are times we'll be cruising along at about 75 and I'll tell Randy to shift to 6th.Sometimes the sound gives it away and sometimes I notice the RPMs. We get better fuel mileage in 6th at that speed. Like you say, the RPMs are so much lower on a big bike that they tend to purr like my kitty when I'm rubbing his ears.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Never on my little bike. In fact I'm almost always checking to see if sixth gear has magically appeared. ;)
This is me... seems like I'm always looking for the non-existent 6th gear. :p

But, I'm just happy I have a bike at all to ride and am content. :icon_cool:

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I caught myself the other night being a gear low, but in my defense, it was foggy and the deer, *****, skunks, and possum were thick and we were watching out for them and any stray drunk drivers. It was after all, 2:00 AM when we got off work.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I caught myself the other night being a gear low, but in my defense, it was foggy and the deer, *****, skunks, and possum were thick and we were watching out for them and any stray drunk drivers. It was after all, 2:00 AM when we got off work.
The thunderstorms must have passed by the time you got off work, or did you miss the wind and rain?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm like Moni, I keep looking for that sixth gear that is not there. I have no fancy gauges that tell my what gear I'm in. Gotta play it by ear I gues...

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
We got hit at work, lightning struck a transformer and killed our electricity. We lost nearly a million in production. That's the second time in two weeks. I hate it when that happens, we run tight as it is. At least my department didn't have anything critical in the autoclaves. The wife lost several rolls of carbon fiber because it got warm though.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I use 6th gear all the time on my Triumph Thunderbird. Anytime I am cruising at a steady speed of 65 or more I put it into this overdrive gear. It lowers RPM and saves gas, yet even in 6th I have enough torque to pass cars on two lane roads. If I really am forced to stay at much below 60 I generally just leave it in 5th, or even 4th if I think I might need to accelerate quickly.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Nope. I'm always looking for yet another. And this bike has some tall gears!:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
My fifth is an overdrive and I only go into it over 60-65. It is around 25-2700 @ 80. No tach so I have to go buy what other who have years more experience with this bike tell me. I just know rolling all day long, tank after tank I get 44-46 mpg.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
My Electra glide is at about 2100 rpm's @ 80
What gears, or sproclets, have you changed? And have you used your tuner to calibrate your speedo?

My 14 FLHTK running 80mph is right at 3 grand, in 6th. Speedo was calibrated utilizing the PowerVision2, and an external GPS.

I run 80 every day, the speed limit the last 20 miles to work is 75, and to avoid being run over, the cruise gets set at 79-80... of course, going home is the same for the first 20 miles, then I take the leisurely loop on the backroads.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
With the gearing of the V-Max... NEVER lol
If anything, I keep trying to shift her into 6th gear!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
yes to all
very true indeed
even in my corvette, especially if i see a bike coming at me quick

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If I don't look at the display, I often find myself in 5th rather than in 6th gear. I keep my head up during acceleration and have gone many miles quite often before I realized I just had not made that last shift.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My VTX is a Retro model, doesnt have a lot of hi-tech gadgets on it like a gear indicator, self-cancelling turn signals, a tachometer or a 6th gear but it does have a pair of fairly loud Vance & Hines longshot pipes that never let me forget when it's time to shift.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Not only do I "foret" to shift into high gear once and a while,
but I ALSO used to miss "2nd gear" once and a while (lol). I don't think that's the same as "foreting" though (lol).

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts