Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I didn't have any illegal drugs / weapons in the car, why wouldn't I allow these guys to let their dog sniff my car?

Why? [I realize NOW] the dog is a RUSE! The dog ALWAYS lays down indicating there are illegal drugs in your vehicle, giving them "Probable Cause" to search it.

I refused to alllow a body search, refused to allow them to search the car, but when it came to the dog, I thought "Why not?" Let the dog handler get some much needed practice in!

An HOUR LATER, surrounded by cops, my stuff laid out alongside I-40 the trim and carpet and ..... all removed, poked under, prodded

"are you sure you never smoked pot in this car? How long have you owned it?

Eventually they gave up, and I ONLY missed the wedding practice, not the wedding CEREMONY.

"Our dog is 99% accurate." Yeah, Bus****!

DO NOT consent to any search, bodily, car, OR the dog. Crack your window and pass your license/registration/insurance through it.

The dog is complete b.s. He will lie down on command and YOU get your **** searched as a result.

Do NOT be a "nice guy" when it comes to Law Enforcement. Stand up for YOUR consitutional rights against "unreasonable search and seizure"

We're gradually slipping into a police state, courtesy of the faux "war on drugs."

And CLAM UP. Say NOTHING to the cops. If you get arrested, Mirandized, handcuffed... WAIT TILL YOUR LAWYER ARRIVES.

My "offense?" Supposedly I changed lanes without signalling.

(Full Disclosure: I was issued a WARNING citation because of my radar detector "obscuring" the windshield)..... pffft! How about all the crap obscuring the windshields of LEO vehicles???

On a positive note, it was a beautiful day, after inspecting it for contraband, the 22 year old officer allowed me to have my Big Gulp (Dr. Pepper) and they were unfailingly polite, didn't point guns at me or anything.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS:

http://imgur.com/gallery/bUbtb

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Too bad you learned that lesson the hard way.

I'm lucky that I've never been asked, and I didn't know this important piece of advice when I was a teenager or in my 20s, but I know it now.

Nothing good can come from consenting to a search of your person or vehicle. At the very least, your time will be wasted. You're not "helping law enforcement do its job". If you want to help the police, refuse the search and make them move on to someone else who deserves their attention.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The dog does not alert on command, it may however laydown when its all clear and the handler says that means alert. Since the dog can't speak in a language you understand you must rely on the interpreter.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
There was a study done a few years ago where police dog handlers were supposed to find the drugs hidden in a warehouse. A large percentage of the dogs signaled a hit at different locations in the area. The truth was there were no drugs present.

It turns out after a dog works with a human for a period of time, the dogs start to get lazy and will pick up subtle cues given by their partners unconsciously in order to get an easy reward without having to work too hard. The police officer then unknowingly gets a confirmation of their own suspicions when they are looking at a place that they themselves think drugs are hidden.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
The police officer then unknowingly gets a confirmation of their own suspicions when they are looking at a place that they themselves think drugs are hidden.
And it is the officer who reinforces the training by rewarding the dog when it does alert. Detecting drugs doesn't make the dog happy, it's the reward for finding them.

(Not to say there aren't some good handlers and some good dogs out there), but it's not a perfect system.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
What's scary was the very low percentage of dogs and handlers that came out saying, "We couldn't find anything". Those where the only ones who actually passed the test. I believe it was less than 10%.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A study done by a team of researchers at UC Davis testing the reliability of drug- and bomb-sniffing dogs found an 85 percent failure rate:

The team assembled 18 police dogs and their handlers and gave them a routine task: go through a room and sniff out the drugs and explosives.
But there was a twist. The room was clean. No drugs, no explosives.
In order to pass the test, the handlers and their dogs had to go through the room and detect nothing.

Out of 144 runs, that happened only 21 times, for a failure rate of 85 percent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drug+sniffing+dogs+accuracy&oq=drug+sniffing+dogs+accuracy&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.4158j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

NPR: Dogs more often WRONG than right!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/07/132738250/report-drug-sniffing-dogs-are-wrong-more-often-than-right

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Good to know

So maybe I will just print out an article or two and if I get stopped, tell then NO and hand them one of the articles.

They probably tear your car apart and then you are the one who has to put it back together???

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If you tell them no, and they tear your car apart, you can probably hire the officer to put it back together after he gets fired and you win your lawsuit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The "Police state" is almost upon us. If a LEO stops you they already suspect something you "may" have done. There is a difference between probable cause and reasonable suspicion. Probable cause is when a police officer witnesses an action or something in your possession that is illegal, reasonable suspicion is an opinion by the officer that you "appear" to be suspicious because of where you are or what you look like. That is why the phrases "I thought I smelled pot" or "They appeared to be doing something suspicious" are the hardest to argue against in court when you go against a police officer in a lawsuit for misconduct. One story I heard about dogs involved Willie Nelson, famous for smoking a LOT of pot. Police officers at one of his concerts thought they would arrest him to get publicity and took a dog on his tour bus, it couldn't pick one spot because of the smell flooding the whole bus, they didn't find the drugs because they didn't have a warrant to search cabinets or anything not in plain sight.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
In nice weather, we'll see cops pull over cars, cuff the driver and sit them on the curb fairly frequently. Most end up getting released after the search.
I asked an officer why they cuff them if they have no proof they get them wrong and he told me it was to protect the officer.I just don't understand how it's legal. I'll never submit to a search.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Wow, I've never been searched for illegal drugs. Never had to step out of the car, and never had them even ask to search my vehicle.

And if there is anyone who fits the visual stereotype of being a doper, It's me. In fact maybe I should be a narc because I am often asked in bars if I have any weed to sell.:biggrin:

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
When my daughter was quite young, I had to go up to the store to get something for her at around 1am. On my way back, I got pulled over for having a license plate light out. He wanted to search my car and gave me 2 options, I could just let him OR he could get a warrant. I told him that we could go with the second option as I wanted to see him wake up a judge at 2am to get a warrant with ZERO probable cause. He let me go...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If he could have got a warrant he would have called. However refusing a voluntary search is not probable cause. He knows that, he's just hoping you don't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts