Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh what a pita, I have taken the carbs off my bike twice already. I mean drain the coolant, get the ratchet strap on there etc yadayada. I already miss my old bike. does anybody know if there is a way that I can take a float bowl off a Honda magna v45 without removing the carbs? I have been losing liquid gold for a while now.

its the forward left float bowl that looks to be leaking.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Try rapping gently on the side of the bowl with a piece of wood and a small mallet. If it's leaking because your float is sticking, sometimes you can jar it loose. Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You might as well do it right and take them off.

One thing that you have to realize is that the fuel pumps to the carbs under pressure and that there are some fuel tees between the bowls that have O-rings subject to leaking.What may appear to be fuel bowl leakage could easily be something else... The tees are plastic which are subject to breakage.

I know a local guy with reasonable rates and he quoted me $150.00 to R&R the carbs and clean them. i was required to get the service manual and read the instructions to him as he was a Harley mechanic. All went well, and he pressure tested the assembly with an elevated fuel tank, but that was not enough to simulate the pressure from the fuel pump.

The problem became fuel tee O-Rings and also one of the Tees cracked. Jeff stayed calm about the cracked tee and turned down a metal SAE to Metric on his small shop lathe. So if I was faced with your situation. I would get the carbs off to repair them and use regulated shop air to add test pressure of maybe 3 PSI to a slave tank and that would be about the same as the fuel pump puts out.

There are repair kits and gasket kits available [V-4 Musclebike} and also guys that will rebuild your carbs mail-order. A V-4 Magna is a nice smooth ride when running correctly, but I feel your pain taking those carbs off. IIRC, the gasket kits were from 60 to 100 dollars and worth it. I had nearly as much in ordering just a few rubber bits OEM from Honda.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved and I also found that the crankcase breather wasn't hooked up, maybe the lack of power I was wondering about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So what as the leak? Straps work,YouTube has a video of a person removing a V65 set good choice, with a winter green & alcohol solution you can bring those boots back to new condition!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the leak was caused by the float bowl O-rings, I'm surprised they leaked that much fuel to be honest. taking them off is just about as difficult as reinstalling them. now I have pulled them three times I cleaned them, adjusted the floats and fixed the leak- maybe I could have pulled them an done that all in one try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those are a pita, but once you have those boots soften you could pull them & install them by hand! Watch out for hardened big gas tube from tank to little tank, mine cracked from lifting tank 1 to many times! Winter green mix works wonders for it too! That V4 is a great engine when right. I'm in the confines of the city for now but on a stretch I'll crack it the response is awesome! Small fella had to do some strength training to ride, I got my bod ready now I just have fun with those HD boys not knowing wip, yea the cubes will eventually power by us but you got to get to them first! Safe riding my friend!

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Pressure.

You can build a pressure checker, with an outboard motor fuel line pump, some hose, a gauge and a few fittings.
You can also use it to do leak down tests.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts