Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 CB650 and I'm having a little issue. I have experienced that while cruising at top gear for some time the bike will stall out as if it is running low on fuel despite a full tank, my guess is that this is due to the carbs needing to be cleaned or some sort of contaminant in a fuel line. So my question is do I need to get the carbs professionally cleaned or can I just put some Seafoam in it and I'll be good. Also will this help raise my gas mileage I currently get around 40 mpg. Thanks for your help.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Some fuel system cleaner is worth a shot. It's best to start with the cheapest guess first.

As to if you need the carbs cleaned or not, that would depend on the degree of contamination.

There are several other things that can be causing the problems, but the fuel system is the most common.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,726 Posts
Do you have an inline fuel filter, or a strainer in the petcock? It doesn't take much to starve an engine on a gravity feed system. Start at the tank and work your way down to the carbs. Check everything, look at the inside of the tank for rust.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The next time it does this,remove the gas tank cap for a minute and ride again. If that makes the problem go away,then you have a plugged vent in the tank cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts