Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '78 Honda CB750A Hondamatic, when I originally purchased the bike it was semi-modified and had no ignition "kill" switch, I was just turning the bike off from running with the ignition key. Now that I am in the process of fully rewiring the bike and upgrading/replacing most of the electtronics (coils, wireset, electronic ignition) I was curious if it is necessary to install a ignition "kill" switch or if it's just fine to continue turning the bike off with the ignition key without damaging any of the electronics and so forth. Thanks for any advice.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
There shouldn't be any damage, but safety-wise you'd better go ahead and replace/rewire the switch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah its fine to turn the ignition off with the key until your throttle sticks and youre going ninety miles an hour at a red light and cant stop. then you have to stop living. get a kill switch or kill yourself

·
Registered
202 Posts
lol, I would have to have a kill switch, since its the main way I turn mine off.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Its strictly a safety thing but like helmets they are optional

·
High speed tester
68 Posts
Functionality of a Kill Switch.

Having done considerable work with a CB400T. I can tell you the function of the ignition key and the kill switch is same. Electronically speaking. when the key is turned off or the kill switch is made it does the same thing. With the same part of the ignition. One wire runs up to the handle bar and goes to the key switch and the kill switch. If either one is " made" the wire is grounded to the frame and the ignition power is lost. At least thats the way it is on a CB400T. As for my self I suggest installing a lanyard type of switch.
The kill is made when a button is pulled out when your arm moves away from the handle bar and pulls a cord pulling the button out. Yes , I'm joking in a
way. But I'll tell ya I've got some stories of working on snow mobiles and jet ski's that will make your hair curl. I would guess that a powerfull motorcycle will stay upright for quite a while before it falls over. And even when its laying on the ground is anyone going to have the guts to go turn the key off when its laying there bouncing on the ground turning 8k rpm all by it self because the throttles jambed. Not me. I saw a throttle jamb on a chain saw ounce. It was dropped , running wide open down inside some brush and branches from a fallen tree. We left if run till it stopped. Safety first.

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
The ignition switch has smaller contacts and upon turning off the switch the electric can arc and cause the switch to go bad sooner than normal, the switch on the handle has a wider larger contact therefore it is more suited to the abuse of turning off causes.

It will take quite some time for it to hurt the bikes ignition switch,so I would not worry about it, however the safety aspect is my concern you have to physically let go of the handles to kill the power and in an emergency that is the last thing you should be doing you can turn off the power and never let go of the handles with the switch so get a new switch!
I for one want you around here for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts