Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used bike but the owner told me it has an expired tag for about a year.

I have seen several people list this on there adds when selling a bike. Why would I care? Would I be responsible for paying his back fees on the expired tag?

That seems pretty bogus? Why would I be responsible to pay that?

Also, I don't know much about bikes. What do u think about this one? Anything stand out as warning signs?

Thanks for the feedback

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/5132556658.html

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Expired plates don't matter here in NH - there's nothing to pay for "back fees".

If you're completely new I would suggest finding a basic rider course - that will teach you a lot and give you a better idea of what to look for in a bike for you.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Plates expired a year ago, means the bike hasn't been ridden for at least that long. So we are probably looking at carb work, and a complete fluid exchange. Check the tires closely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plates expired a year ago, means the bike hasn't been ridden for at least that long. So we are probably looking at carb work, and a complete fluid exchange. Check the tires closely.
Good points. The bike probably isn't worth $1000 if I have to do that work and update the tag

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If I renew my tag late there is a penalty charge but that is for a bike I already own. As a new owner, I would not expect to have to pay that or the charge for the year it was not ridden. On the other hand, with expired tags, are you going to get a test ride to find all of the problems?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
In FL the Owner Keeps the Tag and Transfers it to the Next if have one handy or gets a New Tag for it if don't .. Don't see how you would be responsible for someone elses delay of keeping the Tag up to date .. But will have to Pay for a Tag regardless for yourself .. Oldman brought up a good point though, if you take it down the road with an expired Tag then can expect you paying a ticket if get caught ..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to go down to the tag agency today and find out exactly what the process is for my state

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not an expert but once you register the bike and get the title you get your own tags and wouldn't have to pay for someone else's problems unless there is a lien on the bike, meaning they still owe money on it. Check with the DMV or whatever the registering agency is in your state to see if it has a clear title.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to go down to the tag agency today and find out exactly what the process is for my state
That's the smart course of action since each jurisdiction will differ.

In NE if you have an unlicensed vehicle sitting around for years and want to get new tags, you'll have to pay the back taxes. Not sure if that applies when ownership changes though.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
That's the smart course of action since each jurisdiction will differ.

In NE if you have an unlicensed vehicle sitting around for years and want to get new tags, you'll have to pay the back taxes. Not sure if that applies when ownership changes though.
That is only if you were the owner the last year it was licensed. Also, you only pay back taxes, not plate fees. If you sell it to someone else, they only pay for the new ownership taxes and fees. If they are not licensing it, they only have to pay the taxes.

·
2,799 Posts
That is only if you were the owner the last year it was licensed. Also, you only pay back taxes, not plate fees. If you sell it to someone else, they only pay for the new ownership taxes and fees. If they are not licensing it, they only have to pay the taxes.
Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:
I had a bunch of cars once that were just in the north pasture, I kept current on the taxes so I could plate them when I needed something to drive. All I had to do was pay for the plates when I went to the courthouse. I found out the hard way that unless I registered them as junk, the taxes kept piling up when I went to register them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I went down to the tag agency today and this is what they told me

In Oklahoma, the back tags have to be paid. So if he isn't going to make them current, then I have to when I get my tag for the bike. There is a $1 penalty per day that the tag is expired up to $100. so for an old bike like the one im looking at, the regular registration is about $20 plus the $100 max penalty to bring the tag current.

Also, the Title has to be notarized when signing it over to me.

I don't understand why people wouldn't just keep the tag current when it is that cheap versus paying the $100 penalty.

·
2,799 Posts
I don't understand why people wouldn't just keep the tag current when it is that cheap versus paying the $100 penalty.
They hope no one checks (as you did) and once the sale is made, the buyer is stuck. Good thing you did your homework.

Now, make him knock the $100 off his selling price!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I went and looked at a bike a few weeks ago and the seller had not put the bike in his name and he bought it last Fall. He tried telling me, "There shouldn't be a problem, but if there is then l promise l will pay any charges you incur". It turned out he had all kinds of other bikes and cars for sale, and he just bought and sold stuff to make money on the side. He never intended to actually keep and own the bike, so he never put it in his name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts