Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever have a need for something but either due to budget or just an outright refusal to pay a ridiculous price for it, you had to make your own?
Can't find what you want on Craigslist, or anywhere else, for a second hand price? Or have you just wanted to make something on your own just to have something unique?

Tell us about it. Post a photo if you can. Your idea may inspire someone else to try to build their own, maybe expand on your idea or modify it to fit their own need. If it served its purpose for which you made it, that's all that matters.

I built a luggage "rack" (using that term loosely) for my Yamaha RSTD. I first built it out of wood because the sissy bar/backrest bars aren't straight up and down, but with wood I could keep shaving down the angle til I got just what I wanted.

When I finished my wood luggage "rack", I covered it with diamond plate aluminum. It wasn't the nicest looking rack I'd ever seen but it worked, and with a bag on top of it, no one could see it anyway. I wrapped my sissy bar/backrest bars with strips of inner tube and black tape to protect them and attached the "rack" to the bars using U-bolts from Farmers Supply.

I'd like to find a piston I could make into a cup holder, but not sure how hard that would be to do. If all you've got is an idea, lets hear it, get some pros and cons on how it won't work and, better yet, how to make it work.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I don't think I'll be making a cup holder out of a piston. Drilling and milling all the aluminum out where the wrist pin seats would probably require tools I don't have, but I still like the idea. :)

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
It would be easier to make it an ash tray. If your willing to take up smoking. ?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
My RSTD came with a luggage rack, it will hold all of 6 lbs according to the label on it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I smoked for 40 some years. Had a heart attack and the doc said quit smoking, so I did. Went back to see him, (cause he had a kid in college, I guess) he said to stop eating everything I like. I didn't go back again.
Figured he wasn't too smart. Couldn't figure out if smoking or eating caused my heart attack. Afraid if I went back he would say sex caused it. Now that's over, I should be fine now.

If 6 pounds is the weight limit on a RSTD luggage rack/backrest, I severely overloaded mine, oops.

·
15,500 Posts
I have had 40+ lbs on mine without an issue :)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm fairly certain I kept it under 40 pounds. Overall, I'm sure I didn't over load the bike because I wasn't hauling a passenger. :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Didn't you know that smoking is the leading cause of EVERYTHING, RG? I have two annual physicals (VA and Medicare), and everytime the Dr's ask if I'm still smoking my Pipe. 'Yes'. I say, 'Is something wrong'? 'Well, no but smoking is not good for you, you should quit'. 'But I'm 73 and in good health, so why should I quit?' '...............Crickets'.

Given a chance, every Doctor in the world would have a person quit smoking, drinking, eating meat, Pizza, Milk, Eggs, basically everything except the leafy green stuff.

And I did make something years ago for one of my bikes. I drilled two holes in the bottom of one of my hard saddle bags. That way, as the ice melted while cooling my beer, it drained off and I didn't have to stick my delicate hands in ice water.:cool:

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
I wanted a way to mount my smart phone on my 2003 BMW R1150RT. This is what I came up with.

The RT uses the same handlebar end switch and control modules (not sure exactly what these are called) as the other R1150 models, but since the RT has mirrors integrated into the fairing the mirror mount holes on the handlebars are unused. The hole is fairly large all the way to the bottom, but at the bottom is too small for a 5/16" rod, so I got some 1/4" stainless steel allthread. That seemed like it was going to be too flimsy so I also got a box of stainless steel nuts and tightened a bunch of them down on the allthread to make it stiffer. Added some RAM ball mount hardware and a RetiCAM smart phone holder and job done!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience with mixing cell phones and motorcycles hasn't been real good. So for my cell phone, it's an inside jacket pocket or a saddle bag. Not convenient, but safe.

As long as yours keeps your phone safe, that's all that matters.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
I've never taken any rides longer than 200 miles, but every time I've ridden with my phone in this mount it is just as snug at the end of the ride as it was at the beginning. I have no concern about losing my phone.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
That's a stack of nuts, so we can certainly say you are nuts now.:D :D :D
I think you can clean that up with a few stainless steel spacers which
would look much better in my mind. Maybe 3 one inch spacers and a
few shorter then the nut(s) to hold it all together.(y) (y) (y)

Reactions: RogerC60

·
15,500 Posts
If he makes it too nice Larry someone may like it more than he does and feel that he needs it :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Manufactures love "special tools" that drive you to the dealer for the tool or a repair. I needed a "special tool" for a water pump removal...I looked at a pic of it online, then made one from scrap material around the shop...mine was better than theirs because I added a foot to the handle length and made it 1/4" shallower...fit right into a super tight spot and removed, an impossible any other way, bolt.

·
15,500 Posts
My home project is just about complete. We are waiting on the backsplash to come in from California, then the painter and we are done. Well except for the new furniture to replace everything "she who must be obeyed" donated.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Sure seems like it is taking a long time John but bet it feels like even more to you.

·
15,500 Posts
6 months so far Larry. All new floors downstairs, stairs, and upstairs hallway. New kitchen, removed one wall and opened another up. Moved the kitchen ceeling up to match the dinning room (8") which means moving all the plumbing. New Stair rails and banisters. Cut through the cement flooring to move the drains and plumbing for the washer. New tile floor there. New 200 amp service panel, re-wired the kitchen totally adding two additional circuits there and 4 more in the house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts