Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am expecting a ZX11 fork assembly in the mail and am brainstorming what to do for handlebars. I really would like to mount tubular bars with a low rise or drag bars a bit higher and further back than the factory clip ons without spending a week's pay on conversion.

On eBay etc there's cheap bolt-ons, has anyone used them with success on a full size bike?
What I want:

Risers

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Full sized bike handlebars are exactly the same as small sized bike handlebars. That's a 7/8" hole and those are M8 bolts holding it down.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Full sized bike handlebars are exactly the same as small sized bike handlebars. That's a 7/8" hole and those are M8 bolts holding it down.
I know, it's just full size bikes go faster and I don't need my handlebars coming off while merging on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You know your big bike foot pegs are the same thing as on a small motorcycle too. Don't matter how fast you go, the rider is still the weakest link on the bike.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If anything is going to fail it will be your cheap steel handlebars, and they are going to fold or snap off within half an inch of where that mount clamps onto them.

My little motorcycles have taper bars that are fatter and stronger where they are clamped in the mount also made from alloy instead of cheap steel tube with a seam. If you don't spend well over a hundred bucks to buy bars, they will probably bend easy. But we are a lot harder on handlebars then you could ever imagine, so you won't likely ever have a problem until you crash.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Don't forget that you may need longer brake and clutch lines once you install the risers, also you may need to extend the switch harnesses if you stretch them enough. The issue that you usually run into putting handlebars on a clip on style sport bike is that the bars may hit the windscreen or fairing. So keep that in mind. But Im sure that varies between bikes.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
:LOL: US Shipping with an american flag, that's funny.
Bet they don't look much like the picture and if they do they will be the wrong size.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I read in here anything Chinese will fail without warnng
I had a Chinese front axle break without warning. Luckily I was slowing down, almost stopped for a light. Bike went straight down, came to an instant stop almost throwing me over the handlebars. Was supposed to be an American axle but the catalog misrepresented it. It's hard to get parts that are not Chinese. But one thing I will never get Chinese and that is axles and handlebars/risers. And never Chinese forged grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If it's DIY why are you ordering it and not making it?

... all my axles are Ti alloy, if they break it's my own fault, I must have left the pinch bolt loose.
no wait, that wouldn't even do it :unsure:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a Chinese front axle break without warning. Luckily I was slowing down, almost stopped for a light. Bike went straight down, came to an instant stop almost throwing me over the handlebars. Was supposed to be an American axle but the catalog misrepresented it. It's hard to get parts that are not Chinese. But one thing I will never get Chinese and that is axles and handlebars/risers. And never Chinese forged grade 8 bolts.
It's amazing all these motorcycles aren't breaking axles and littering the roads. Sure it wasn't a bad installation?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts