Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I was on the interstate with wife on back, just cruisin along and here comes a truck from behind on the on ramp doing about 90 and apparently no idea of the merge concept, so I hit the brakes and swerved over to the other lane..........and I hit a ditch cut out in the middle of the road to place reflectors.

This ditch was a surprise and sent us on a little wobble, yes I pinched the seat a little and so did my wife. These ditches are about every 2 dashes and about half as long as a dash, and a couple inches deep. So I'm thinking what a stupid idea.

We have a 4 lane connector road from town to the interstate, and of course every year around the beginning of school they work on it. Today they were out there digging ditches to put little reflectors in.

We already have to pay more than cars, and now we have to put up with little ditches being dug in the middle of the road........what stupid idea will be next.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know how you feel. Every time they put down new pavement around here they come along and cut groves across the road. Then they put tar in the groves and when the temp. gets up they form speed bumps. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not seen that yet, but the Kaw dealer was asking me about it. He was out riding on the West side of Lexington Sunday and saw it being done.

I've told the KMA about these ditches. Waiting to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a response back from the KMA president.

First he is forwarding to the chairman of the commission to highway dept for motorcycle safety(who happens to be an officer on the KMA) which is a slow process so

He gave me a link to Ky's report a pothole(which is not just for potholes), which I have done. At the end of the reporting process they have these scribbles that I'm supposed to be able to read and copy into a security box then click on submit......it took about 10 tries before I got it right.

And I should go to the county DOT engineer, then to the county Judge Executive who can pressure county DOT to act.

Then report back to KMA.

Apparently this is something that never went to the motorcycle safety commission(most likely) or something they just let slip by.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the pothole site.

I went to the county KDOT, and they don't have an engineer, but the guy that sits in the office rides a GoldWing and he knew all about the dangers of the ditches. And more than happy to send up a complaint with my name on it.

Stopped at the Judge Exec and he is going out to see the ditches, then call Flemingsburg(state hwy dept).

Went to my brothers to tell him what to watch for and he pointed out something I hadn't thought about.

Ditches collect water, thats just what ditches do, then water freezes, and if its down in blacktop it tears it up. Probably a design by some contractor with the idea of getting paid to come back every year and fixing the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts