Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I get off work have to catch a ferry, can’t find the damn key.
After from the 45 minutes of tearing stuff apart looking for the key checking lost and found even searching the parking lot.
I decided it was time for an alternate solution to the problem.
10 minutes back to the work shop to borrow some tools.

How long do you think it took me to get the lock off without damaging the bike. Without anyone questioning what I was up to.

Didn’t miss the boat.

Need a new lock but wondering what’s the point? :sad:

Of course I found the damn key in an odd little compartment in my back back the next morning.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Less than t minutes and no one asked what you were doing.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Locks are there just to hopefully move the lazy thief along to the next easier target.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately if a thief wants your bike a disk lock and or the fork lock wont stop them. Even a chain or cable thru the frame can be cut in two seconds with a bolt cutter or battery powered cutting wheel.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm confused here Jm. You need a back pack with a special pocket to hide your lock key? A long time ago, at least a couple of generations, we had this thing called a 'Key Ring'. A little circle thing that held your house, car, boat, truck, bike keys. Once all your keys were on the ring, insert ring and keys into pocket. Or lock them in the house. Or the glove box in the car, then lock the car.

Seriously, I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
I lost my car keys a few weeks ago. i got a little junker car to cut back on miles being put on my truck. The ring just had the car and house key. I guess sometime during the day reaching in a pocket it slipped out. Had to find a ride home to find the other key then find a ride back, which is 30 minutes each way. Yes, Ive made more and changed key carrying habits.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've probably got a key that would fit your lock. Seems like I'm so darn scared of locking something up and not being able to get back in, I've collected a crock pot full of keys. (Not quite).

With my pocket knives in my left pocket and keys and change in my right pocket, it looks like I've got four knees sometimes. :)

I've got keys to locks I don't even own anymore, but I don't know which ones they are so I can't throw them away.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
My dad was horrible about saving and taking keys. When I got my first car I had to hide my keys. He would take them to work with him and I couldn't get to my own work. And he locks every door like some kind of crime is about to happen. Even of he is just stepping out to get then mail, out of the mailbox next to the door. The ONLY hitch I've had stolen out of the receiver on my truck was one that was locked. I guess someone had a key. They only make a couple of keys to those.

To the original poster, you might just ask for someone to try some of thier keys if they are willing next time. There's really not that many keys out in this world on those kinds of things.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
ha ha ha...I've still got keys to every car I've owned. And I'm sure most of them are in junk yards by now. But I'd find one months or even years later that I completely forgot about. I always had duplicates made for that just in case thing. Got a few motorcycle keys as well but some of them were not as easy to duplicate or cost way too much so I didn't do it as much with bikes. And today they got big ugly things that replace keys. No way will I get dups of them unless I have to. I prefer keys. It was a much simpler way.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
If thieves got the punishment they have so richly earned, wouldn't be a need to lock everything up.
Boy would I like to see that. Instead we pamper the little darlings.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
You could have always just rode a wheelie all the way home. How far was it? Just 20 miles?

·
Very Famous Person
10,004 Posts
--

My house and every vehicle I've ever owned has always had a spare key hidden on it. Used them many times.

--

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I took the Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert.
I ussualy take the highway south and a Ferry from Nanaimo, this time I decided to take a bit of a tour riding down from Prince Rupert. highways 16 & 97. With a stopover in PG. Very wet, but still very nice. Rides up the Skeena and Down the Fraser Canyon were spectacular even in the rain.

The key I found was my spare, which I had put in a safe place I couldn’t remember.
I think I still have the key for my first car, and my first bike.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I found my bike lock key simply by buying a new one. As soon as the money was spent and I got it home, the old key turned up!

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
That's the way it normally works. That's why I have so many keys today. Years and years of that very practice.
:sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
I took the Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert.
I ussualy take the highway south and a Ferry from Nanaimo, this time I decided to take a bit of a tour riding down from Prince Rupert. highways 16 & 97. With a stopover in PG. Very wet, but still very nice. Rides up the Skeena and Down the Fraser Canyon were spectacular even in the rain.

The key I found was my spare, which I had put in a safe place I couldn’t remember.
I think I still have the key for my first car, and my first bike.
Are you up North on the big island?
The Harley rider I met on the Twassen to Duke point ferry, lives in Port Hardy.

UK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.