Motorcycle Forum banner

How do you like Old School Dirt Bikes

Dirt bikes on the Cheap

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Stablefull 
#1 ·
Hey everybody. I just thought I would like to start a thread for those on a budget to show off their Dirt Bike on the Cheap. For those folks who maybe don't have all the garage space and or machinery/tools to do a PRO job...
This is one that I just started with a $50 dollar investment for a couple of frames and a bunch of motor parts.
It is a 71 Honda SL100.
The tank is from a CL350. The seat is very temporary. Getting started on rebuilding the motor.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I love seeing someone passionate about bikes. I really love seeing someone finding a way to pursue it with time/effort rather than throwing dollars at it. Kudos indeed.

Having said that... I have no interest in dirt bikes whatsoever. Just doesn't do it for me. Your poll is missing the response I'd pick; "Don't care".

My 2c and not trying to denigrate your choices. Just saying off-road simply isn't of interest to me...

#5 ·
I have ridden dirt bikes from the lowest point and hottest desert (Death Valley) to the highest point in the CONTIGUOUS United States (Mount Whitney) and raced flat out in competition in BAJA, Mexico and off road races, like 'hare and hound,' European scrambles, TT, Flat rack, short track, Oval track, ISDT type enduros, Saddleback 'Materhorn' sanctioned hill climbs and even lots of Trials competition and have experienced the beauty of most of the mountain ranges in Southern California, from the back of many dualsport/ adventure bikes and the views I have seen and my experiences are priceless in many ways. :biggrin:

After countless miles ridden on the dirt, with it's many obstacles requiring millions of instantaneous decisions to do so effectively from 5 mph to 100+ mph, I have always found street riding in comparison to be a piece of cake and much, much easier and safer---yes safer.

If you want to be safe on the street, I recommend dirt riding first. You'll learn more doing so than in any sanctioned safety course.

PS: I used to convert 250 and 305cc, Honda Superhawks to 'dirt bikes' as a hobby back in the late 60's.

Sam:coffeescreen:

#7 ·
I admire the experiences you have had. This project to me is one of opportunity. I got the equivqlent of 4 motors, one rolling frame and one blank frame all for $50.
I rode dirt quite a bit, motocross, and just plain offroading. I had a 71 360 Yamaha Enduro in 73. I rode motocroass and got to go Hill riding on the Bacardi plantation in Puerto Rico. Fun times.

#8 ·
I have ridden a lot in the dirt, and hope to do so again one day. Right now l just don't have the garage space, nor enough tme to make it worthwhile.

I somewhat agree with Porky. When l first started riding on the road the first thing l noticed was that there was a shortage of activity. On a dirt bike you are always doing something...go off that jump, lean into that corner, power slide, wheelie, slow turns down tight trails, stand up and gun it through the creek! You are on and off the gas all the time. The street is very docile in comparison, unless you have a chance to get out and carve up some canyons. The dirt will always be very special to me ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.