Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a do all motorcycle. I want a bike that I can go on long 4-5 day trips and also be good for taking out on an evening ride around town after work.

I have been looking at the Yamaha v star 950 and 1100. I hear from some they are way to big for me because I am inexperienced with heavy bikes and others say they well be fine. I hate mixed answers. I am 5'7" and weigh about 160lbs. I have rode dirt bikes my whole life (250 2 strokes, and 450 four strokes). I do believe that as far as the basic controls go I well be fine.

I am basically looking for some advice on a good fit for me. I am willing to spend around $6,000.00 on a bike. Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out. Cheers

·
American Legion Rider
18,677 Posts
The trick with heavier bikes is to just never ever let them get past the tipping point. Easier said than done sometimes when you are used to lighter bikes. Also if the bike you want doesn't have engine guards, put them on. Just makes things easier when, and notice I said WHEN, you drop it. It will happen. You should be fine since you do know their is a tipping spot where you know it's hard to even get a smaller bike back up. That's your experience. Noobs don't have that. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) Yep I started my "motorcycling career" on off-road bikes too, and the transition to a street bike can be interesting. In comparison they seem HUGE heavy with a wide low seat and narrow handlebars! But it'll all make sense after only a few days or weeks of riding.

Even though you're technicality are not a motorcycling newbie, you are still new to street. I'd suggest you start with a cheaper used bike to learn on, and maybe something a bit smaller. Have you seen the Vstar 650's? Remember this 1st/used bike isn't the one you keep forever, but just for a year or 2 while learning street riding.

Good luck!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It's impossible to say what you will be able to ride competently without actually knowing how skilled you are.

If you are proficient with the controls of a motorcycle, a 900 or 1100 twin shouldn't be too much of an issue. Heavy motorcycles will require some finesse with slow speed maneuvering, which can be gained with practice easily enough for most people familiar with lighter motorcycles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the forum Northern. I agree that you should find a good used motorcycle. My wife just started riding a couple of months ago and we were going to get her a smaller bike but we already had a Honda Magna VF750C (check the reviews on bikes you are interested in and go sit on them and check them out in person). She made the decision to learn on that bike and she is roughly 5'6" tall and about 115 pounds wet. Our bikes weigh about 540 Pounds each. She got used to the weight and dropped it once so far in the yard, and leaned it over once against the shed while she was pulling it out. She never driven a motorcycle before and now she loves it. If you buy a good used bike then you can use the extra money towards safety gear or other things for your bike like a windshield. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Who cares what a bike weighs? Yes that is a real question. Once you are doing say 5 MPH every bike weighs the same. I ride a bike that is listed at well over 900 lb wet but it weighs no more than I let it. I use tiny control forces to keep it in line even at very low speed. When I must stand it up at a dead stop is the only time that I notice its weight and even then it is lighter than you might expect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies. At NordicMan, I have considered the 650 but I am worried that on the highway it wont stand up on long trips. I have heard they work extremely hard and are always in high rpms just to keep the bike going 100-120 kmh compared to 950-1100. Oldman47 your are very right about the weight. Once you are moving it don't mean ****.

Any one have any reviews on the Yamaha V-Star? I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Again, thank you all.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like the vstar style. Ive already decided once I get a few seasons under my belt that will be my upgrade bike. I ride a 650. Suzuki s40. For me its a great little bike. Im not much of a highway driver but I can tell by driving on the back roads that it may not be the best choice for long highway drives. Nothing against the bike thats common with smaller bikes. But its a great learning bike. But you do have experience with bikes so you will probably be fine with a bigger bike. I would never suggest a bigger bike to someone just starting out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts