Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

So I purchased a 2003 Suzuki GZ250 with 390 original miles on it in almost mint condition. It's been garage kept mostly. I'd like to talk about whether or not it's possible to salvage a break-in from this point forward.

I don't have any way of knowing whether or not the bike was properly broken in. So here's my question: With such low miles on the bike, starting now, are there any steps I need to take in order to ensure the continuation of a proper break-in, if that makes sense? In other words, what can I do NOW to lay the groundwork for a solid dependable bike without knowing whether or not it was broken in properly?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
The FIRST thing to do is change the oil and filter.
It may very well be the Original oil that was in it when new.
After that, I would treat it like it was a new bike and break in accordingly. :wink:
BTW, congratulations on the find.

Eric

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
And probably the gas too. Quite a find there.
Good point, if you haven't already done so, drain the float bowls and the fuel tank.
Add fresh premium fuel mixed with a heavy dose of fuel injector/carb cleaner to the empty tank.
Trickle charge the battery and expect to have to replace it. (age)
Carefully inspect the tires and plan on their replacement as well if it was not kept indoors/ exposed to the UV rays.

Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK will take care of all of the above. Thanks for the pointers. Wasn't there something else I read about proper breaking in? Like slow for this many miles, oil change, hard for this many miles, change again, etc etc? Any tips, videos, or other info?

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is vary your rpm and load the piston rings.
By loading I mean to accelerate and decelerate.
You put more pressure against the rings in both directions.

Eric :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great and a point well taken. I've been reading up on loading the pistons, and a lot of stuff I've read says that the most crucial piston-loading period is within the first 100 miles. Should I assume that they've already been loaded? What I mean is will laying into her and up- and down-shifting be moot at this point considering the mileage is now almost 400?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK will do. So recap, change oil and gas first thing before starting up. Then take her for a drag and do some shifting around in each gear to get those particles stirring. Then oil change again? PS - Oil type and brand?

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
Put about 500 or so miles on it with your fresh oil then change to a good synthetic motorcycle oil.
Available at Mao-Mart, Autozone, etc.

Eric

·
Registered
219 Posts
i think you should go not synthetic first, then synthetic after your break in? for some reason i think the synthetic might be too thin/slippery to allow you to put proper pressure on the pistons (assuming they aren't already baked into place.

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
I case I was NOT clear, OP said that it had 390 miles showing, change the oil (dino/regular diesel) ride it for 500 MORE miles,
then change to synthetic motorcycle oil.
Understood?

Eric :)

·
10,756 Posts
I agree with the previous posts, change out all the fluids and filters. Treat the bike like it was a 0 mile bike and stay lower in the rpms and keep them varied. No 100 mile trips at a constant speed. In 500 more miles change oil and filter again and then you have broken it in propperly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's probably too late to worry about bedding the piston rings now since most of the cylinder honing is gone by 100 miles and certainly by 200 miles according to most authorities. All the above recommendations are good. If it's not too difficult you might also consider removing the tank then wash it inside with soap and water followed by alcohol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great thanks for the tips!

1 - I haven't heard of dino/diesel. Can I just use standard 10w-40 oil for the first change before going to synthetic?
2 - Where's the best place (on the engine) to drain the gas, and how do I dispose of it?

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
"Dino" is slang for petroleum based motor oil. You want to find one that IS NOT "SM" rated on the API seal on the back of the bottle.
Mao-mart (Wal-mart) sells an oil that is designed for older cars that will work.
Several "store brand" oils will also work.
"Diesel oil" is typically a 15W-40 weight petroleum based oil with better additives to protect moving parts. One example: Rotella.
As for draining the old varnished gas, drain the fuel bowls under the carbs and the fuel tank at the petcock or remove the tank and turn it over.
Call a petroleum distributor to dispose of it.

Eric

·
Registered
131 Posts
...."Diesel oil" is typically a 15W-40 weight petroleum based oil with better additives to protect moving parts. One example: Rotella..Eric
Automotive oils used to contain the good anti-wear additives but they were found to contaminate catalytic converters and shorten their life and so the automotive oils were reformulated. Diesels do not have catalytic converters (the diesel combustion process is a little more efficient) and so the oils for diesel engines still have the better anti-wear additives.

I don't think I would be too concerned about going to a synthetic oil so soon - especially if you will be changing the oil frequently. One of the best attributes of synthetic though is that it has better film adhesion so that if you use the bike infrequently there is a better chance of some oil having been left on moving parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All right! So have had the bike for about a week now. Some adjustments need to be made, but I figured I'd post in the repair section instead of here to get some feedback on what to do about the smoking and idling. I named the thread Smokey One-Time Starter for anyone who wants to give feedback. Thanks for everything!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts