Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, just chit chatting here and I noticed that my build threads all show their photobucket images, though with a watermark. Did Photobucket backpedal on their decision to charge to hot link images to forums? It looks like they have substantially changed their site around - can't find any mention of charging for the service anymore..

Interesting.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
It's possible as I'm sure they lost a lot of activity. I stopped using them completely and won't be going back. There are just too many other sites for that kind of stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Guess a person could try posting a new photo with them and see what happens.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
I think they have, I know they have changed policies as they keep sending me emails about it, but I don't read them.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
166 Posts
Too late as I deleted my account and photos and moved what I could. I would have paid a reasonable fee but they were trying to blackmail people and i am not a commercial user though they claimed I was. Screw them, too late now. The ads and popups were just too much too make the site useable and practical and then they pulled the trick. F' them. J

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just tried to sign in to Photobucket and it looks like they are still charging for their service. I think its way less than it used to be.....I believe they initially were trying to charge $300 per year and now the cheapest monthly plan is about $4.50. It really pissed me off when they did what they did. I lost a lot of photos.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The CEO that signed off on the blackmail scam is gone. The new CEO took over in March, and they restored photos in May. They also changed the subscription fees drastically. It's much more in line with what people think they should be. They still burned the little guys like me that hosted a handful of photos and expected me to pay $400/year. So I won't go back despite these changes.
https://www-bizjournals-com.cdn.amp...cket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

The new prices start at $1.99 per month for 10 gigabytes of images stored and rise to $3.99 monthly for 20 gigabytes and $8.99 for two terabytes of storage. All the plans enable third-party hosting for a $2.49 monthly add-on price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What was it, 2 years ago? They started the exorbitant pay nonsense and ditched the free service. All my linked photos disappeared from my posts in forums, showing up with a "You forgot to pony up" photo message where each photo used to be. I immediately cancelled my account. I don't run a business, I can't afford a couple hundred dollars a year to post hobbyist forum photos.

Even now, I will not go back. With a $2/mo. for 10 GB and an additional $2.50 for outside forum sharing privileges equates to $4.50/mo. or $54/yr. Then if sales tax required at 8% totals $58 say $60 per year. That is $60 I can use for something else.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,513 Posts
What was it, 2 years ago? They started the exorbitant pay nonsense and ditched the free service. All my linked photos disappeared from my posts in forums, showing up with a "You forgot to pony up" photo message where each photo used to be. I immediately cancelled my account. I don't run a business, I can't afford a couple hundred dollars a year to post hobbyist forum photos.

Even now, I will not go back. With a $2/mo. for 10 GB and an additional $2.50 for outside forum sharing privileges equates to $4.50/mo. or $54/yr. Then if sales tax required at 8% totals $58 say $60 per year. That is $60 I can use for something else.
Agree. See my post #3

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.