Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time ever putting an exhaust on. Didn't come with any instructions so I only had YouTube as my guide. Ha. Should the clamp overlap the two pieces where they join, or is it okay to have the clamp just right up at the edge (but not overlapping) where they join?

Right now I have it clamped down right at the edge of where the two parts meet. Here are a couple photos:

Did I do this in the correct place? :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
looks great, same goes with other clamps such as radiator hoses.
The rubber hose is thicker then the part it is slid over and clamped to.
If you split the clamp for 1/2 over each side, it would look like the clamp was falling off and be a weak connection.
Is same with the thin metal of the exhaust system.

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks great, same goes with other clamps such as radiator hoses.
The rubber hose is thicker then the part it is slid over and clamped to.
If you split the clamp for 1/2 over each side, it would look like the clamp was falling off and be a weak connection.
Is same with the thin metal of the exhaust system.
Ah. Thanks for explaining!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The problem that ....

With exhaust, what you are concerned with is leakage in areas that might be effected by hot exhaust...
Like a wiring harness behind a clamp that is not completely sealing.
or a flamable fluid line that might catch fire.

Most people don't really worry about a completely sealed exhaust, a few leaks here and there are expected, but in my shop, where I spent alot of time as a kid, the guys said, "an exhaust is supposed to move those hot toxic gasses away from the machine, and away from you, and they use a sniffer sensor when they inspect the thing. If there is a leak, believe me, they will find it."

So your clamp looks great(whoopty do) I have seen some really sad jobs that looked really good, I look at it like this...
"if you have any doubt(like why did you ask this forum huh?), take it off and do it right"... looks good to me, but then I just had the worst morning I have had in years... ps. I won't question your work if you don't question mine....

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
With that exhaust system, you're not going to hear any leaks anyway. You're also not going to hear police sirens, gunshots, or your own voice over the constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound when you get home and take your helmet off.

Enjoy :)

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With that exhaust system, you're not going to hear any leaks anyway. You're also not going to hear police sirens, gunshots, or your own voice over the constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound when you get home and take your helmet off.

Enjoy :)
Haha :biggrin: It's really not that loud. And I do wear ear plugs! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts