Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, new to the forum and relatively so to motorcycle repair, hoping for your sound advice.

With the bike stopped and in neutral, after I engage the clutch and drop down to first, as I slowly disengage the clutch and roll on the throttle the bike seems to momentarily jam and lurch forward, with a sound coming from the rear as if a wrench has been thrown into a cog. It doesn't stall, and after the brief lurch proceeds to ride smoothly. This issue has only happened in first gear and when starting from stopped.

I've naively ruled out any problems with the gearbox and the clutch. Any suggestions?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It's not uncommon for the drive train to "clunk" a little when being put into gear. The transmission is simply meshing the gears internally and it sometimes takes a little movement to get them to align. Slack in the final drive may also make a little noise as torque is applied.

As a matter of degree, if it is making an abnormal noise or a large amount of sloppiness in the drive train, that would mean issues with the transmission or a loose, worn final drive.

Check the chain tension and make sure it is in manufacturers spec as a first step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, but it's much more than the usual clunk... I've been riding this bike for a few years and this is only a recent development. It really does sound like something is briefly getting stuck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts