Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old historic business/building (the Desert Inn at Yeehaw Junction) that was a nice destination ride out in the middle of nowhere in old era Florida was just destroyed by a semi truck accident. located at the intersection of U.S. 441 and state road 60 in Osceola County, its been there since the 1880's. It started out as a trading post for local ranchers, timber men and the Seminole Indians. Then, it became a bar/ dance hall / hotel / and brothel to provide supplies and recreation? to the local drovers, lumbermen and even tourist, but it was mostly a bar room and brothel for cowboys and lumber workers. Even up until the accident, it burned a red lamp in the upper two story window at night. It survived hurricanes, tornado's, floods and wildfires, but couldn't withstand a semi truck.

Prior to that area being named Yeehaw Junction, it was called Jackass Crossing, a reference to the burros that ranchers rode to Desert Inn. The Desert Inn also didn't install full-service water and electricity till 1978. In 1994, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. You would ride for miles and miles through original undeveloped old Florida seeing only undeveloped flatlands, marsh, forest and an occasional cattle ranch of many thousands of acres. Then up out of nowhere, at the intersection of HWY 441 & HWY 60, you would come upon this familiar old historic building still operating as a business, it was kind of cool. Now, its no more thanks to some dumbass. Maybe I'll ride out there this weekend and take a look at it myself one more time before they bulldoze it, it would be a nice 160 or so mile round trip.

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
Now, I live in New Jersey where it's very crowded and there are LOTS of buildings.
But out there in the swamp where you have LOADS of open space, how does some ayhole run into and demolish the only building around!!!?????

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The driver claims that it was dark and he couldn't see the lines on the side of the road, ran off of road and lost control. I personally think he fell asleep and lost control, especially since it happened at 3am in the morning. There's a traffic light there too. I've been through that intersection many times at night and day crossing the state, never had any problems seeing anything there. Hwy 60 is the road that cuts across the state from Tampa Bay to the Atlantic, it runs right through the middle of the state east and west. He was hauling a load of oranges. Driver was from Michigan.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Looking at the photos, it appears it had been raining recently, maybe at the time of the crash. Maybe he was running a bit fast, hydroplaned?
I seem to remember something about semi trucks, running empty, having trouble stopping on wet roads? Any big rig drivers here?

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Lights were red too. At least in the pic.
" When you get to the fork in the road, take it " Yogi Berra. He did not follow Yogi's advice.
Maybe the will rebuild. They should have insurance money, and a fairly solid claim against the truck company.

UK

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the photos, it appears it had been raining recently, maybe at the time of the crash. Maybe he was running a bit fast, hydroplaned?
I seem to remember something about semi trucks, running empty, having trouble stopping on wet roads? Any big rig drivers here?
It definitely had been raining off and on just about all week, still raining.

·
Registered
781 Posts
With a load of Oranges, he was probably grossing around 73/75 thousand pounds. Sometimes the Oranges are put in Bins, sometimes they are just loaded lose in the van, and sometimes they are in 50 pound boxes. If it was a lose load, it's possible he ran off the road, the load shifted, he over corrected, and lost control. Although the road is wet, I don't see any skid marks. What I do see is he tried to make a left turn at the last minute and it didn't quite work out for him. So, with over 43 years of driving experience before retiring, I'd say he was going to fast for conditions, along with being tired, and not paying attention.

I sure hope the owners do everything they can to rebuild the building.

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
Could be rebuilt better than before but I'd suggest they move back 20 or so feet from current location. :) :) :)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Stopped at Yee Haw Junction many times when it became an Exit at the Turnpike definitely stepped it's business up some.. But I'm old enough to remember it when was just a good crossroads in the middle of Nowhere ..

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
We have a place about an hour away, so we used to ride there for breakfast. Best breakfast destination in the area. The bacon alone was worth the trip. I was sad when they closed it a few years back. Sadder still it will probably get dozed now. Lots of history in that place.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'd much rather stop at some place I've never heard of, that serves breakfast, lunch and supper, than McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, etc.
Won't find the worlds best cheeseburger at one of those places. (But Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel and other family style places are real good.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think Ketch Boy is spot on. When I saw Desert Inn I thought it was somewhere in the Desert and not the Glades. Too, bad a historical crossroad got demolished. And I'm assuming nobody was seriously injured. Please, don't call the driver a dumb ass. I'm sure he didn't set that night to crash into a building. Maybe rebuild with concrete barriers. S__t happens.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good thing it was 3AM or he could have killed a bunch of people.

Just to the left of those cement/steel barrier polls...just figures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts