Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I was driving around on my bike ( I am a new rider) and i hit something metal on the ground and it put a little dent in my exhaust pipe. There isn't a hole that I can tell but just a smallish dent. My head says its not a big deal but being a new rider and just having bought this bike my heart is freaking out. Thoughts?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It would have to be an air restricting dent to cause a problem. Like one side nearly touching the other side. Cosmetic dents won't cause a problem. Ride it.:D

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

Of course that's unless you have dual exhaust. Then the exhaust on the side with the dent will be slowed down while the opposite side will come out at full blast. This will propel that side of the bike faster than the one with the ding in the pipe. This will cause you to continually circle around from the excessive power shooting out of the unobstructed side.

Probably then your arm on the correcting side will become either excessively tired or build up from the added exercise. This can cause crooked walking due to the larger muscle mass.

It's your choice to leave it or not, BigArmNewK. ;)

--

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Leave it to Ron to "clarify" everything.:D

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Please post a picture of this dent so that 1236 internet experts can evaluate it and then argue for 3 weeks about the angle of the restriction vs the dynamic flow ratio differential pressures at various rpm points before they all agree that you should just ride it and keep smiling :)
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The dent in the exhaust.

Here is a special way of looking at a dent in the exhaust.

"picture the exhaust without the dent."
assume you have decided to try and take the dent out using a pry bar up the rear technique...
"picture the exhaust with the dent."
Is it better after the pry up the rear technique?
your choice...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Maybe at one time or another, on this forum, i have experienced the "pry bar up the rear" :rolleyes: technique. However, it has been a long time ago, and I have pretty much, um, let it slide.

I cannot speak for Ron, however

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It's compensation for being blinded.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts