Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows of demo rides, It would be nice to share them with the rest of us. Place, time and manufacturer would be nice to know. Some people would ride a couple hundred miles just to go on demo rides.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Victory has trucks that travel around the country to dealers and offer demo rides of all the Victory models.
Nothing on the website for dates yet, but they should start to schedule them soon. Check the Victory main website and click on "demo tour" periodically to check for updates as they are adding dealers as the season progresses.

Also, most Harley Davidson dealers have a few demo bikes on hand throughout the season, just stop in and ask.
(Although I'm not sure you would need to ride a Harley after riding a Vic:p)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
But if you want something that looks more like a motorcycle then an interplanetary spaceship, :), you can go to the Harley website and schedule a test ride at about any dealership near you, I think.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Our HD shop only lets you demo around their building. The Vic demo is about 25 miles including stop and go to interstate. Won't bother with another HD "test ride" since I don't ride around buildings in parking lots other than to find a place to park for a while before I get back out on the road to ride again.

Maybe they don't want them to get too far away so they have to go and get them when they break down.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Come on, Luvs2play, be nice. It's been a long time since AMF made motorcycles...

The HD dealer in town is a bit stingy about test rides.(of course they don't have a great reputation for customer service at all)
But there is a smaller dealer in a small town about an hour away that practically throws keys at you to get you in a bike. Despite (or maybe because of) the fact they one is wearing a Victory jacket. (and as it goes, they have an excellent reputation for service and sales)

I like all motorcycles, so I rarely pass up the chance to demo any make or model. Last year I was riding a Triumph Tiger 800XC wearing my leather Victory jacket and a half helmet. That got some odd looks, let me tell ya.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Our HD shop only lets you demo around their building. The Vic demo is about 25 miles including stop and go to interstate. Won't bother with another HD "test ride" since I don't ride around buildings in parking lots other than to find a place to park for a while before I get back out on the road to ride again.

Maybe they don't want them to get too far away so they have to go and get them when they break down.
Darn! And to think you almost bought a Harley until they turned you off with their stingy little test ride! :coffeescreen:

I've ridden through your area, (on a Harley.) I don't recall even seeing many buildings to ride around, much less parking lots. :)

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I've had three of them, and it's not that I wouldn't own another one someday, but the test rides are a joke.

At the dealer I buy most bikes from, my test rides are a week while I check them out. I did put 71 miles on a new Raider the other day, but didn't keep it for the week, there was no real reason to.

But no, I won't buy anything I can't take out for a real test ride. I won't even buy a cheap used car without a real test ride, why would I spend $20,000+ on a bike I can't check out?

Need to slow down and check out the Grand Island HD joint, the building sits right in the middle of their parking lot. The North Platte is an old truck stop just off the interstate, they have a large parking lot to "test ride" your new $32,000 bike in.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'm a bit different, I guess. I've never test ridden a bike before buying it, but then again I've never purchased a new bike from a dealer either. The only used bike I purchased from a dealer was from the one I was working at, but I still didn't test ride it. (I did do a very thorough pre-delivery inspection on it though.) I guess I just figure that if something isn't quite to my liking I'll change it until it is.

And I was joking about having buildings, of course. We've ridden through both Grand Island and North Platte, (stopped at the big railroad tower observation place,) and from looking at the map just missed you once, but went through Hastings on 281. What impressed me the most was the beautiful wide open spaces. We loved riding through the sand hills! If they ever made Winter illegal I'd seriously consider moving to the area.:)

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Riding through the sandhills is the best of Nebraska. We absolutely do it a lot. The rest is nothing but flatlands full of corn and beans. You can drive 8 hours and never see a thing on I-80. Going from north to south, once you hit Grand Island, you have seen all there is to see in Nebraska unless you head west. The railroad in North Platte is something to see, it is one of our biggest attractions along with the Buffalo Bill Cody museum there.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I agree. Rode through Nebraska one year and was thankful when I reached the west end of it. It was so boring and flat. I thought the 100 acre combine junk yard was kind of cool though. Back to topic, I did a test ride at my local Harley dealer and road a good route of more the 20 miles on a new dresser.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Yeah, most of them don't make it to a junk yard, where they die is where they stay. Some just farm around them for years before they disappear.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It all depends on what you're used to seeing I guess. I enjoy going through towns and meeting people and seeing how they live. Seeing the different history and architecture and different things you find off the beaten path. For example I think it was in NE off Highway 81 (I HAD to ride that one, of course, lol,) that we passed a steam locomotive and cars. Just sitting there in a field rusting away. I love that kind of stuff! We've ridden across Nebraska 4 times now and not one mile have we gone on an Interstate highway, so even the flat corn fields were enjoyable to me.

Yeah, I guess if I had to look at nothing but that every day it might get old, but I enjoy the heck out of the rides.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
You can drive 8 hours and never see a thing on I-80. .
Which is why I always take Highway 6, which runs BELOW I-80, which is laden with small towns, diners, free camping spots, WPA pools, antique stores, the Pioneer Museum..

Between towns, in the cornfields, you can easily do freeway speeds.

Why ANYONE would deliberately sit on I-80 for hours on end is beyond me, unles they're trying for an Iron Butt Award of some sort. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Around here, walking into a dealer and telling them you want to ride a particular bike they have in stock seems to work fairly well. I bought my Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, looked like Critter's bike, after a test ride of it, brand new, at a local shop. I bought both of my Harleys after a decent test ride on each one and bought my Victory after putting about 15 miles on the one they had on the floor. In the case of the HDs, I bought the ones that I tested. On the Victory I tested a CCT and a Vision and then ordered the color Vision that I actually wanted, not the one I drove. My only experience with a demo truck was when I ran into a demo day at an out of state Vic dealer while I had my bike in for routine service during a road trip.
When I am ready to buy a new bike I simply do not want to wait months for a demo truck to arrive in town. If a dealer won't work with me another one will.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Harley Davidson has at least one truck that goes around to dealers for test rides. You may not get the bike you want but they have a representative of each group (type). They lead you on a given set of roads.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Getting a demo ride can be a real challenge. While it appears most HD dealer have some demos on hand all the time, it may not be the exact bike you want. Last year I wanted to demo a Goldwing and a Victory Cross Country Tour. The Victory dealer had exactly what I wanted, ready to ride and I took it out for about a 20 minute demo. The Honda dealer had an 8 year old Goldwing as the only demo. Maybe I should not have, but I judged how I might like a new one based on how the old demo bike rode (and I did NOT like the ride).

If you really want to ride various bikes conveniently, I recommend you plan to go to one of the really large rallies that advertise that multi brand demo rides will be offered. I know Americade has all of the major brands present. Years ago the annual Honda Hoot would have all of the major Japanese brands, plus BMW, HD and maybe others. While the "sign up" line would start to form early in the morning, with a bit of effort my son and I were usually able to get about a dozen or more demo rides during a two or three day period at the rally. Most of the demo rides were small groups led by a rep from the brand, and usually lasted about 30 minutes. BMW would arrange a 45 minute to an hour demo, with riders changing bikes at the turn around point so you would get to try two different bikes. HD would allow you to go on your own without a time limit, which was always really cool.

Sometimes the opportunity to ride a multitude of new bikes would make me groan when I returned to my own bike, and sometimes it would make me appreciate my own bike even more. One of these days I hope to make it to Americade which is held each year upstate NY in early June, and if I do, I plan on taking as many demo rides as I can sign up for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts