Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Microsoft is notifying me that my old Windows 7 is about to expire. i have a Dell laptop [see above] that is running a 160 GB hard drive. After looking at Black Friday crap and at Costco, it looks as if a 1 TB is going for $500.00 or so. after researching upgrades on YouTube internet, it seems that installing a new drive is pretty much taking out about ten tiny screws and sliding one in.
i texted Dell customer service and like that since I am a read and write guy and do not learn well by listening. The entire conversation is saved as well as a firm price quote with everything spec'd out. . i need a 2TB drive at $99 and a memory saver thingy to keep my old stuff from this computer for twenty five or so including taxes.

So I do not care that this laptop weighs three pounds and is three inches thick. Probably a pound of that weight is Cheeto dust and shop grease . This laptop has a detachable battery instead of the glued in throw away stuff they are selling now. one thing I wish it had was a VGA or whatever connection they use for hooking up to a large monitor. We have free netflix with our cell phones and a direct connection from this computer to a monitor would be a good thing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So Microsoft is notifying me that my old Windows 7 is about to expire. i have a Dell laptop [see above] that is running a 160 GB hard drive.
I just replaced the painfully slow 320GB hard drive in my old HP CQ57 laptop
with a new 250GB Samsung SSD. The difference in performance is spectacular.
20s to load Firefox reduced to 3-4s. My laptop has a removable battery and a
panel on the bottom for easy access to RAM and hard drive. It looks like your
E5500 has a similar setup.

i need a 2TB drive at $99 and a memory saver thingy to keep my old stuff from this computer for twenty five or so including taxes.
Do you really need 2TB in a laptop? Large rotational drives are very cheap these
days, but 2TB SSDs are still relatively expensive. Unless you absolutely need the
extra storage, I would go for a 250-500GB SSD. Samsung or Crucial get very good
reviews.

·
American Legion Rider
18,956 Posts
I replaced the guts of my old Mac too for the same reason, cost. It then went for so long that I either stayed at that then current level software or by new in order to go to a major leap upgrade in software. Only then did that old Mac get retired. We live in a throw away world and I just wasn't brought up that way. Got to be good reasons to go new. After nearly 20 years I figured it was time. And I've already had to have the battery in this new Mac replaced. Less than 2 years old. I still have that old Mac. You might find me resurrecting that old thing yet and pretending it's new with whatever new guts I can find. It darn sure has the room for just about anything in it compared to what I have now. Who knows???

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I do not know enough about it to remove and replace. The Toshiba I am using was bought used from a computer guy. It has tons of room and should run for a while. My travelling HP ran out of room. I bought a new one for about $500 in AB where there is no sales tax. It is smaller and needs to go in the saddle bag ( ammo box ) on the XS400. I just switched the ammo boxes from tin to plastic.

UK

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,092 Posts
Whenever someone wants to get a little boost out of an old machine for not much dough I always go for SSDs. Most people I know aren't going to need more than 250GB, so a $40 250GB SSD in place of their dinosaur mechanical drive makes a world of difference. I'm never going back to mechanical drives, myself!

And if they have a tad more budget and the machine's a laptop/Max, more RAM is always an easy upgrade. My favourite upgrade for an old desktop is finding whatever top spec Xeon processor could fit and work on the board then shove that in there. Old Xeons are often really cheap because IT departments toss out old server equipment for basically nothing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 on the SSD plus more RAM approach. I did this upgrade on my 6 year old Asus laptop and it's performing well enough that I am able to make a living using it to develop software.

·
American Legion Rider
18,956 Posts
Yeah, you don’t need the super fancy new stuff unless you are running the latest games. And even then you can get by only a little slower. Graphics uses a lot. For the average person that isn’t really needed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are you sure you want to beat a dead horse that only supports 4GB of ram and might not have video that is supported by Windows 10. Win 10 has a stupid menu but you can get a customizable start menu that is $5.00 or less called Start10 that looks and acts just like the Win 7 menu and does a lot more. Windows 10 is a great Operating System, can be easily made to act just like what you are used to but I wouldn't use it on anything less than 16GB of ram. Your old Latitude E5500 would run Lubuntu Linux like a freight train, give you a Windows like menu, do all the updates automatically with tons of free programs and probably everything you need. I wouldn't recommend a SSD any larger than 500GB. You can get USB 3.0 portable hard drives dirt cheap these days if you need TB storage that works fine on USB 2.0 but the cable that goes into the Portable drive is much larger than the 2.0 cable plug and less prone to breaking. It's probably time to consider a new laptop, get a 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive, dump all your important data on it and transfer it to a new laptop that has decent ram and USB 3.0 and get Start10 so you are up and running immediately. Just a thought from someone who used to do this for a living. It becomes very problematic to put an Operating System on a Hard Drive over 500GB if ever needs HD related repair in the future. All your Storage requirements can be met by a Portable USB 3.0 Hard Drive for pictures video or anything else that takes a lot of space without stuffing up your Operating System Drive that needs 25% free space to operate efficiently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts