Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and an aunt had ridden in the 1940s and I started riding at age 15 in 1964, before motorcycles were common but I gave up motorcycles when I moved away from home and got married in my 20s. In my 30s and in my second marriage, my husband and I both took up riding again for a few years. I was in a high-tech career with a government agency so "proper" and "professional" was the rule of the day. The second marriage ended in my 40s (no kids) but the career continued until retirement 3 years ago.

Now retired and age 65 I find myself becoming more and more "anti-social", preferring just the company of my dog and more fringe-type motorcyclists. I have definitely developed very much a "F##K YOU!" attitude! No more concern for "public image" or offending people, just do whateverthehell I want. If there was a female motorcycle gang ion the area, I'd probably consider Prospecting! I guess this is my "mid-life crisis"

Any other "older" people out there who have rebelled against "the straight and narrow"?

How is it working for you?

·
8,592 Posts
Maybe at this time in life Dianne, instead of rebelling and isolating yourself in your anger and depression , maybe you should look to GOD.:

Philippians 4:7King James Version (KJV)

7 "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

We are all just one shallow breath away from eternity which is something to ponder;)

My walk with Jesus, my Church Family and my association with those who love being a Christian is what keeps me happy:biggrin:

I also clear my head of life's Malware by riding, every chance I get.

I also really enjoy Cheeseburger's:p

I am not proselytizing but just telling you about where I find peace.:icon_cool:

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm with Porky here Dianne,Jesus truly does give me peace.When I start getting all balled up inside I am able to let it go when I remember He is the way and he will never leave you.I hope you get to feeling better and may God bless you.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sounds like you are getting where you want to be. And yes a group of motorcyclists would be good for when you want to be around people and not have to conform.

I'm lucky, my job now is one that I like, the boss rides a FatBoy and his beard is 4X longer than mine ever was. I could retire in 3 yrs but I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait an additional 5 yrs till 62.

And after a few trips on the bike I will get another dog, mine died
a couple winters back and I don't want another just yet.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
What you call being a rebel sounds an awful lot like what some call a curmudgeon.;)
But seriously lots of folks become less interested in what others think and focus on what make them happy as they age.
If it makes you happy do it.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
lol...Dianne...you are simply finally "getting it".

I have always gone my own path. Sometimes the masses fit in and sometimes they don't but it has always been what I wanted and not what the others wanted.

I lol'ed with the religious crap. These people always believe theirs is the only way. The world is full of different religions and they all believe theirs is the one and only god. Look at ISIS, the Crusades, what the Buddists in Mayanmar are doing. Believe what I believe or you are going to hell. Really?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Dianne, I support your desire to "rebel", although I agree with ODE that you are probably just a curmudgeon (i am there at a younger age). As to "not tolerating proselytising", what are you going to do, ride down and beat them up? I think you will tolerate it. Rebel on! :71baldboy:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Dianne, I support your desire to "rebel", although I agree with ODE that you are probably just a curmudgeon (i am there at a younger age). As to "not tolerating proselytising", what are you going to do, ride down and beat them up? I think you will tolerate it. Rebel on! :71baldboy:
She did say she respected everyone's faith before she told them to STFU.:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
There was a time I enjoyed irritating bible thumpers. Especially Southern Baptist. Using their own words against them frustrates them into the twilight zone. But it's so easy that I've become bored with it.

·
8,592 Posts
Oh Canada:biggrin:

"With Christianity in decline after having once been central and integral to Canadian culture and daily life,[9] Canada has become a post-Christian, secular state.[10][11][12] The majority of Canadians consider religion to be unimportant in their daily lives, but still believe in God.[13] The practice of religion is now generally considered a private matter throughout society and the state." Wikipedia:frown:

"I respect everyone's faith but I do not tolerate proselytizing." Dianne quote.:confused:

Weird.;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Or offer them a beer. It's funny.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I really think as we grow older many of us have just gotten a little tired of doing so much for everyone else. I've gotten tired of having to be nice to others when I really don't like them very much.

In my case I worked with the pubic over 40 years. Now I find myself not wanting to go places and not wanting company a lot of the time. I hardly ever answer the phone because I don't want to talk to anyone. Even my daughters will call Randy and not me.

I really do enjoy the Forum though. I can just sit here and read the posts or I can join in the threads. I would really like to meet a LOT of the members. Hopefully we will be able to start touring again soon. When we do I may get to meet some of you.

As for proselytizing, I often tell members I will pray for them but I am in no way trying to convert anyone. I believe in God and I believe in the power of prayer. If I ever offend anyone with that you have my apology.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Dianne, maybe it's something that goes with folks like us that do everything for ourselves. We become so independent that often times anyone hanging around becomes irritating.

I'm a welder/machinist/fabricator so have had to put up with the general public and while many of my customers have become friends, I have turned into a hermit. I like being alone, like riding alone, don't like answering the phone, don't like visitors (generally). Guess I fit ODE's theory that I've become a curmudgeon and I almost wear it like a badge.

BTW, I am a Christian and don't believe our 'condition' has anything to do with that. (Even Jesus liked to go off alone at times.)

·
Registered
316 Posts
She did say she respected everyone's faith before she told them to STFU.:coffeescreen:
Now THAT's funny!

Religious stuff is just too polarizing, even when shared in a non-combative way. It has turned into such an us vs. them mentality; just like politics.

DianneB: I share many of the same feelings. Don't post too often on the forum, but like visiting in the isolated safety of home, and hearing what others have to say about this wonderful activity. Very much looking forward to retirement (after my soon-to-be college freshman graduates), and no longer having to serve customers. My extraverted wife keeps us socializing which is fine, but increasingly enjoying time by ourselves. Are you currently on the bike, or just looking for female gangs to hang with?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts