Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
sometimes a low idle can starve the valve train of oil pressure. Tinsnips has the idle adjustment right you should raise it till the engine is even, not loping. Everyone talks about seafoam but Berryman's is less costly and designed as a cleaner.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Everyone talks about seafoam but Berryman's is less costly and designed as a cleaner.
I don't think I could get by without B12. It's like a vitamin almost for internal combustion engines. Not to mention raising your fuel mileage while it's in there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speed the idle up a bit to get oil pump turning a bit faster like said. I heard mention of K&N in one place and CV carb in another, I've seen a filter change like that mess an engine up down low at off-idle. Pop the usually more restrictive OEM filter back in and everything back to fine.

I used to sell maintenance chemicals by the barrels when I did parts, I won't touch that here other than to say I haven't used them in some 50 years now of messing with all kinds of engines. No need.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,698 Posts
Hey first timer here, I just picked up a 2001 Honda shadow aero vt1100c3 and I’m wondering what could be the cause of a delay in first gear only. I will start the bike warm it up and everything but when I get into first gear anytime when I’m riding there is a slight delay and then I’ll twist the throttle a bit more and it will kick in and I’ll start moving fast. Today I was riding and in first I didn’t give it that extra gas just a normal amount and it backfired a bit then kicked in and kept going normal. Otherwise the bike runs great idles fine sometimes does tiny pops when engine braking. Anyway if anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas let me know. Thank you
Backfiring on a deacceleration is most commonly a lean condition on the pilot circuit of the carb. could either be adjustment of partial clogging. Your hesitation is most likely the same. pilot circuit is running lean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Air cuts mentioned in post #20, if there they are supposed to stop backfire on decel. I've seen one with a leak both backfire and the idle on that cylinder got all wonky.

Crack the idle mixture open a bit more if not against a limit like said.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts